PDA

View Full Version : Fear Factor: What is the craziest thing you have eaten ? ? ? ( 37 pictures )

Dugmor
12-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Balut (Or "Balot") is one of the Philippines' real native culinary delicacy that is sold every where in the streets. It is pretty much a duck abortion. It has to be in the top of some of the most exotic things I have ever eaten in my life. Balot is an aprodhesiac! Of course I had to try it !

What makes balot special is that it is not simply an egg with the white and the yoke. It actually has a half-incubated chick inside it.

Balot is akin to an aprodhesiac; why else would it be sold at night time by wandering salesmen shouting "BA - LUUT!" Of course eggs have that obvious fertility symbolic connection but balut is also considered to be strengthening - providing a burst of protein to replenish lost energy after an amorous encounter... The Filipino equivalent to post loving pizza.

Balut is eaten during the drinking sessions. It is a form of "pulutan" - food eaten when drinking alcohol. Recent studies by scientists confirm the importance of eating high protein foods when drinking alcohol as opposed to sugary or high carbohydrate foods. The visual grossness of Balut might also be stimulating to people lost in a beer haze. Certainly many foreigners need to be in this state before they feel ready to partake of this particular Filipino delicacy.

Filipinos love the shock value of Balot. They take every opportunity to dare foreigners to eat it and consume it teasingly in their presence. I had to try it twice cuase I was smashed the first time........ here are the pictures.....

ClICK ON THUMB BELOW:

http://www.webmastertour.com/pictures/balut/thumb.jpg (http://www.webmastertour.com/pictures.html)

What was the craziest thing you have eaten ?

monaro
12-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I would have to say the craziest thing I have eaten was a big black christmas beetle. You know the ones that only fly around in the hot summer at nights.

Okay it was a dare and I had been drinking and well went like this. Skull a long neck (750ml bottle) of beer and the last one to finish has to swallow one of those!

I think that party was out of control. :)

Torn Rose
12-12-2004, 07:31 PM
My Dad has tried Balut and loved it, I would not have the balls to try that, but I am not big on eggs to begin with.

jscott
12-13-2004, 03:18 AM
omg man, that is sooooooooo nasty looking, i cant believe you ate that shit.....well yes i can lol

gnat69
12-13-2004, 01:58 PM
I was at the Butterfly Conservatory last year and the University of Waterloo had the Chef Class there offering alternatives to meat:

I had Curried Meal Worms

They were pretty good, didn't notice any nasty taste and was a little crunchie :D

ocho-ocho
12-14-2004, 02:14 AM
i love balut but never look at it when its time to eat...

Dugmor
12-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by monaro
I would have to say the craziest thing I have eaten was a big black christmas beetle. You know the ones that only fly around in the hot summer at nights.

Okay it was a dare and I had been drinking and well went like this. Skull a long neck (750ml bottle) of beer and the last one to finish has to swallow one of those!

I think that party was out of control. :)

Did you chew on it or just swallow it ?

Dugmor
12-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Torn Rose
My Dad has tried Balut and loved it, I would not have the balls to try that, but I am not big on eggs to begin with.

To be honest since I am living here it is normal to eat it ... it is not like a once in a life time thing. In fact I think I will go get a few right now !

Dugmor
12-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by jscott
omg man, that is sooooooooo nasty looking, i cant believe you ate that shit.....well yes i can lol

When you get here......... you will be eating it also !

Dugmor
12-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by gnat69
I was at the Butterfly Conservatory last year and the University of Waterloo had the Chef Class there offering alternatives to meat:

I had Curried Meal Worms

They were pretty good, didn't notice any nasty taste and was a little crunchie :D

You should have asked them if they could cook up some of the butterflies !

Dugmor
12-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by ocho-ocho
i love balut but never look at it when its time to eat...
\

Do you drink the juice ? Someone told me it is the duck fetus urine !

jscott
12-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Dugmor
When you get here......... you will be eating it also !
hmmmm, we'll see about that :rolleyes: