PDA

View Full Version : Proud to be an Australian

cheeky
01-08-2005, 06:31 AM
I've just been sitting here watching the Australia Unite appeal - over 3 major channels and in 3 hours Australians have given over 10 million dollars.

This appeal is to help rebuild and to help the survivors of the Tsunami in Asia.

One Australian business man just gave $250,000 out of his own pocket.

Well done Australia!!!

trishie
01-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Yes Marie.. I know exactly what your saying its a very good feeling knowing that Australians are being so supportive...

cheeky
01-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Did you watch the show Trishie?

It was very amazing and the last song of the night called Amazing was so true. It is amazing how much people are coming out in support of the Asia region.

To see the Australian Army set up their hospital to treat the sick, the people with infections and others who are there helping.

Molly Meldrum was in Phuket and the beaches are almost clean of the debri and hopefully people will now return to help the workers make money so they can live.

Are you going to watch the cricket tomorrow? The game which has come together where every cent earnt goes to the relief. I believe it will be a good game :)

It is also good to see that the adult webmasters are coming together too - an auction will be held (from what I have read) on the 24th January :)

Have a great weekend Trishie - I'd better get back to work :)

trishie
01-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Marie...
Ive just heard over the radio that its over 15million... fantastic effort:)

I have been tied up with work and things today so I havent watched the cricket.. which is odd for me cause I love watching my Aussie team...

Hope that you too have had a great weekend

Trish

monaro
01-09-2005, 04:34 AM
I feel sorry to those who lost their families and friends.

cheeky
01-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by trishie
Marie...
Ive just heard over the radio that its over 15million... fantastic effort:)

I have been tied up with work and things today so I havent watched the cricket.. which is odd for me cause I love watching my Aussie team...

Hope that you too have had a great weekend

Trish

The cricket is on on Monday and yes it is over 15million and they raised that amount in 3 hours.

The cricket match is a charity match between the World and the Asian XI - Ganguly is going to captain the team from Asia - not sure who the Australian captain will be but I'd be surprised if it isn't Ponting.

I also heard that Steve Waugh might come out of retirement, for this match, but I haven't heard that confirmed yet.

I love my cricket too - this match is a sell out and was within hours of them announcing it.. Tomorrow - Monday Australia time is when it will be on :)

It was a great effort from the Australian people :)

cheeky
01-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by monaro
I feel sorry to those who lost their families and friends.

A friend of mine sais that even though there were many lives lost, it is now time to focus on the relief effort and supporting those who lost their loved ones, their friends and family and to help them rebuild for the future.

trishie
01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Sorry Marie.. Monday I was refering too. but we didnt get a tv coverage, and alot of people here aint happy about that!

cheeky
01-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Damn that sucks trishie.

They broadcast the show in 52 countries for the telethon.

The cricket was awesome, I couldn't help myself, I worked in front of the tv with the cricket going. The cricket was shown in 122 countries - all this arranged in 10 days...

To see Ponting and Lara batting together was awesome. However it would have been nice to see Steve Waugh and Lara batting together...

They raised over 14million dollars yesterday (during the cricket)

Oh it is a shame you missed it. If I had have known before that they weren't going to cover it where you are, I could have taped it for you.

For each 6 hit Toyota gave $50,000 up to $500,000 and for each run scored 3Mobile gave $1,000

all up there were 576 runs scored... and 7 6s during the game.

It was a great game - and they shocked everyone by sending McGrath in as number 5 and damn he got out for a duck trying to hit a 6...

I'd better stop now, I am still astounded by the generosity of people around Australia...

Have a great day