PDA

View Full Version : My hosting sucks!

Mister X
12-04-2002, 03:10 PM
Okay it's official. My hosting sucks AND blows. Apparently another account on the same server has 2 pages listed on the hun today. So Both of my domains are down for the 3rd time today because their shitty oversold server can't handle the load. Wisol is a totally shit company as far as I'm concerned.:mad:

wsjb78
12-04-2002, 03:15 PM
We've been so far with ProTGP.com on dedicated servers. Haven't had any issue at all. The only setback is that they won't allow Telnet but with the live help everything gets sorted out very quickly. We've been using them now for 6 months and there was no downtime except for the one where the auto-cc-rebill didn't work.

Mister X
12-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a credit card so it rather severely limits my options. :(
But I really can't stay in business like this. Pretty soon I'll be blacklisted on every tgp from here to Rangoon.

Evil Chris
12-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Mister X... a friend of mine runs http://www.swiftco.net/
Check it out... I'm sure he can get you set up right.

Mister X
12-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanks Chris. I'll check that out. :D

wsjb78
12-04-2002, 03:52 PM
No CC? How is that possible?

btw, I get daily thousands of email offering me CCs and earsing my bad CC-background... shall I forward them to you?

Mister X
12-04-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by wsjb78
No CC? How is that possible?

btw, I get daily thousands of email offering me CCs and earsing my bad CC-background... shall I forward them to you? No thanks. I already get those same emails, lol. Let's just say that I made a couple of unwise financial choices in the past. So I have the proverbial "bad credit" problem.:(

Juge
12-04-2002, 03:57 PM
You gotta go with dedicated. I got fucked over by my first host, and I'll never make the same mistake again. I now host with rackspace (NOT rackSHACK) which is above and beyond the best host I have ever seen. I have had 100.000% uptime with them for almost 4 years now, they garauntee 99.999% uptime via redundant equipment at every level so if anything fails there is something there to take over, right down to the power supply. The have 24/7/365 online support, and a toll free number. I pay a little more, but I sleep well at night. Give me a shout if you want more information on them, and I can get you a deal with them. No, I don't work for them.

Slick
12-04-2002, 04:17 PM
You should look into Choopa - http://www.choopa.com They're an EXCELLENT host. I've been with them for over a year now and have been VERY happy with them. They've got a nice special going on, check it out -

P4 1.7ghz
512mb
40gb
3000 gigs bandwidth
$500/mo

The nice thing is that the bandwidth is HIGH QUALITY stuff, only tier1 providers like Exodus, it's NOT Cogent or Verio crap.

It's also a FULLY MANAGED server, so you can't beat it.

Mister X
12-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys. I'm not ready for dedicated just yet I don't think. Not pushing enough bandwidth to make it cost effective right now. I see Oxeo has a pretty great special on virtual this month which I'll probably look into.

XXXMgmt
12-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Mister X,

Check out my site, I have an awesome special going and the fact that you don't have a card is cool with me, I will accept a money order or personal check, it ain't no problem.

If need be get in touch with me. I can work something out with you.

Sophdream
12-05-2002, 01:28 AM
Unfortunatly Mister X i have the same problem as you and I agree, Wisol sucks...but i read some answers you got in here and i will check those too. Keep going! You`re doing a great work! ;)

wsjb78
12-05-2002, 04:25 AM
Hey Soph,

you don't have a CC either? I guess I only got a CC because I'm enrolled at one of Europe's top-ten business school... I think the CC-Companies think that later on I'll make big, big mone so they give me CCs for free... every half a year another bank comes and asks whether I want one more CC....

Juge
12-05-2002, 06:50 AM
Until you go with dedicated, you may always run into the same problems of sites on the server using up everything it has. I'm not sure if you can find a host that can prevent this, since they save their money by placing as many clients on one server as possible.

Mister X
12-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by wsjb78
Hey Soph,

you don't have a CC either? I guess I only got a CC because I'm enrolled at one of Europe's top-ten business school... I think the CC-Companies think that later on I'll make big, big mone so they give me CCs for free... every half a year another bank comes and asks whether I want one more CC.... Actually I think she means that she's having the same problem with Wisol. Sophdream has their preview pages hosted there. Low cost but not very good if your previews are unavailable some times.

Mister X
12-05-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Juge
Until you go with dedicated, you may always run into the same problems of sites on the server using up everything it has. I'm not sure if you can find a host that can prevent this, since they save their money by placing as many clients on one server as possible. Well I think if they use their heads it shouldn't be a huge problem. After all gallery pages are just static file retrieval. There's no dynamic content or cgi programs running. A host with brains will know that gallery pages are going to have access spikes from time to time. Unfortunately nobody at Wisol.com has any idea wtf I'm talking about when I try to tell them shit like that. I have a friend who may be going colo very shortly and will be willing to accept a hitchhiker. I might just have to stick with the losers at Wisol until then.

RobBuxxx
12-05-2002, 02:36 PM
did you get my private message???

Juge
12-05-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Mister X
Well I think if they use their heads it shouldn't be a huge problem. After all gallery pages are just static file retrieval. There's no dynamic content or cgi programs running. A host with brains will know that gallery pages are going to have access spikes from time to time. Unfortunately nobody at Wisol.com has any idea wtf I'm talking about when I try to tell them shit like that. I have a friend who may be going colo very shortly and will be willing to accept a hitchhiker. I might just have to stick with the losers at Wisol until then. I see... so they knew that these other clients were using the server for gallery pages only? It should have been up to them to inform the host that they may get peaks in traffic like that. I think some people really have no idea how much b/w the hun will cost a gallery...

Mister X
12-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by RobBuxxx
did you get my private message??? I got it Rob. Unfortunately I'm not very close to being able to make a decision yet.

RobBuxxx
12-05-2002, 06:27 PM
I got it Rob. Unfortunately I'm not very close to being able to make a decision yet.

OK...no problem....let me know if you have any other questions.

Mister X
12-05-2002, 06:35 PM
I see... so they knew that these other clients were using the server for gallery pages only? It should have been up to them to inform the host that they may get peaks in traffic like that. I think some people really have no idea how much b/w the hun will cost a gallery... Well they gave a discount because of it being for gallery pages and such only, so I guess they knew. But as I said... I don't think these guys even know what a gallery page is. Lord knows I've tried to explain. I know the person in question who has the 2 pages on the Hun. Like I said, these guys have oversold their server space by a pretty good margin. It isn't up to anyone to hold the hand of their host and explain how the internet works. And these guys just don't give a damn. They don't return calls or answer emails. I'm seriously considering reporting them to the Montreal BBB.

Sophdream
12-05-2002, 07:42 PM
i'll be with you Mister X... Look first they offer me a package for 29,99 with all the stuff and blah blah..after they call me before they said i reach the limit so i would have to take the package for 49.99 and they called me again yesterday saying I really would need the 129.99 package or they close my account...so i said yes but what they don`t know is that i will close it and go with intelligent people in couple of days.

What a bunch of stupidos!:bonk:

Mister X
12-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Well finally after 2 days I heard from the idiots in question. Here's the email they sent:

Our apologies for the delay. Our technical department was verifying your
website and indeed, your website was not accessible several times for the
past few days.

The situation has now been resolved and it should no longer occur.
WISOL has not breached its SLA and please be assured that you will be issued a
refund if any further downtime occurs (please refer to our SLA for more
details)

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and
for choosing WISOL for your Hosting Solutions.

Really good service, huh? They admit it was down "several" times in the last few days. But do I get any kind of discount? No. Apparently they think they have matched their 99.95% uptime guarantee. I guess they don't count the 6 or 7 hours today that the server was so slow it took over 2 minutes to load my effin tgp. On my 1.5 Mb dsl connection. Assholes.

wsjb78
12-06-2002, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Sophdream
i'll be with you Mister X... Look first they offer me a package for 29,99 with all the stuff and blah blah..after they call me before they said i reach the limit so i would have to take the package for 49.99 and they called me again yesterday saying I really would need the 129.99 package or they close my account...so i said yes but what they don`t know is that i will close it and go with intelligent people in couple of days.

What a bunch of stupidos!:bonk:

For $130.- per month you can already get a dedicated server. E.g. our host has fully managed servers with a 10mbit con starting at $144.-

Juge
12-06-2002, 08:21 AM
Really good service, huh? They admit it was down "several" times in the last few days. But do I get any kind of discount? No. Apparently they think they have matched their 99.95% uptime guarantee. I guess they don't count the 6 or 7 hours today that the server was so slow it took over 2 minutes to load my effin tgp. On my 1.5 Mb dsl connection. Assholes. I would tell them, in a nice way, that they breeched the SLA and that you demand a refund. Tell them that you are considering moving to a new host. Be professional about it, and don't take no for an answer.

dantheman
12-06-2002, 11:50 AM
we take paypal if that'll help you:)

Mister X
12-06-2002, 12:30 PM
I would tell them, in a nice way, that they breeched the SLA and that you demand a refund. Tell them that you are considering moving to a new host. Be professional about it, and don't take no for an answer. Already told them all of those things. They just don't care about virtual customers obviously. It's a lost cause. I'll be changing servers. The only question is when. I was polite but firm in my emails and didn't even get an answer. In the fifth one I said I was fed up and angry and any reputable host would have fixed the problem and given me some kind of discount. That got me the email I posted above.

Mister X
12-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by dantheman
we take paypal if that'll help you:) Actually taking Paypal is no great advantage for someone with no CC. With no CC Paypal will only give you an "unverified" account with a cap on the amount that can be transferred. The only way to get verified and lose that cap is to use a credit card. My cap was reached a year or so ago.

Juge
12-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Already told them all of those things. They just don't care about virtual customers obviously. It's a lost cause. I'll be changing servers. The only question is when. I was polite but firm in my emails and didn't even get an answer. In the fifth one I said I was fed up and angry and any reputable host would have fixed the problem and given me some kind of discount. That got me the email I posted above. Yup, I've heard another big host say that their virtual customers just make them no money, and use up a lot of their resources (including customer support). So, from their perspective, it makes sense to do away with virtual hosts. My host stopped setting up virtual hosts over a year ago.

But, this doesn't excuse them to stop giving you any support at all, since you are already a customer of theirs.

NOTR
12-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Man OXEO all the way

Hit me up, I will hook you up with a nice deal.

NOTR @ OXEO.com
UIN: 107027405:bonk:

Mister X
12-07-2002, 02:38 AM
Well my hosting problem is solved. I've got a spot on my friends new server. :D
But it's NT. ::-|
Scary chit man!

Juge
12-07-2002, 01:39 PM
Well my hosting problem is solved. I've got a spot on my friends new server. :D
But it's NT. ::-|
Scary chit man! Uh oh. Good luck with all the viruses attacking your machines, heh. j/k Nice to see you back on track.