PDA

View Full Version : Royalty For Digital Videos to Acacia???

Luna
12-08-2002, 05:30 PM
Any of you guys received package from Acacia Media Technologies
(http//www.acaciaresearch.com) regarding licensing rights to have digital videos on your web sites ?

I got my on Friday. Apparently looks like Acacia has a patent for steaming media from 92´ and now they are trying to get money from everybody that offers streaming services on their website

I found a lots of posts about this on gofuckyourself.com forum, but would like to know Canadian view about one more money grabbing bull shit.

Mister X
12-08-2002, 07:01 PM
Just another bunch of greedy bastards who invented the internet. They're putting the squeeze on a lot of people and sites. And they have a bunch court cases going on. They probably figure if somebody is dumb enough to pay them they'll have a stronger case against the big guys or something. From what I've heard they claim that their pattern covers ALL forms of streamable media from mpegs to Real to Quicktime. Basically they claim that this patent covers any and all forms or streaming media past and future. In other words they invented the whole concept. It's a load of crap but US courts are notorious for making whacked out decisions.

Luna
12-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Any other Canadians got this, or we are only lucky ones ?