PDA

View Full Version : windows vs linux

sofy60
03-24-2005, 07:28 PM
windows vs linux

Does anyone know the market share of these two operating systems in regard to servers online.
Im thinking linux is bigger but I maybe wrong.

Gruntled
03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Do you mean webservers? I'd say that there are tons more Linux webservers than Windows webservers.

Last solid numbers I heard was that 60-70% of webservers worldwide are Linux, and 90% of all webservers run Apache. (Apache can be run on windows in the stead of IIS)

sweet7
03-24-2005, 11:08 PM
lol hotmail servers used to run on *nix based OS's

princess
03-25-2005, 12:41 AM
linux is just better to run just about anything on. if I could do all my work in linux I would never run windows again.

Yep.. my loves linux!

McAttack
03-25-2005, 12:01 PM
If you're looking at all servers, yeah linux/unix types out number the M$ servers for sure in mission critical applications. I only ever trust MS servers for email and stuff.

Rochard
03-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Each and every one of us should get down on our knees and thank Bill Gates. He's brought computers to the masses and continues to do so.

The average computer user could never use Linux.....

SinSational
03-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Rochard

linux has some pretty friendly gui's these days.

McAttack
03-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Each and every one of us should get down on our knees and thank Bill Gates. He's brought computers to the masses and continues to do so.

He's a part of it, but I think Compaq is the real hero. They were the first ones to build an IBM PC Clone. Once they broke it and figured out how to make em legally, computers were finally affordable and not reserved for executives.

But, you could smack Steve Jobs from Apple for his decision to keep Apple computers proprietary.

princess
03-27-2005, 12:46 AM

Have you not checked out linux lately? If not you might wanna revisit it. They've done some amazing things..

I would never get on my knees and thank him. *giggle*

come to think of it. freebsd is probably better then linux for web servers etc..

prime
03-29-2005, 08:25 AM
bsd servers are better than linux variants out there.