PDA

View Full Version : DirectTV Broadband... down and out. B-bye!

StuartD
12-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Check it out... one less place to get your net connection from.

I hope no one is using DirectTV for their ISP!

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/12/13/2050257

AcidMaX
12-14-2002, 08:44 AM
D'OH!! I guess I better move pretty quick.

Andy

Juge
12-14-2002, 11:11 AM
Damn. I always wondered how well satellite internet works to begin with... anyone here using it?

JFK
12-14-2002, 11:12 AM
As long as I dont loose my Sattelite feed , who cares !:rolleyes:

Evil Chris
12-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Hmm.... I know a couple of people near me who use satellite. Not sure which service, though. Not DirecTV, which is in the US only.
I hear it's good though, except for the uploading, which is by modem only.
But they live in an area where DSL and cable are still not available to them, so satellite is their best option.

Juge
12-15-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
Hmm.... I know a couple of people near me who use satellite. Not sure which service, though. Not DirecTV, which is in the US only.
I hear it's good though, except for the uploading, which is by modem only.
But they live in an area where DSL and cable are still not available to them, so satellite is their best option. You'd think the slow upload wouldnt be a problem in most cases, but the fact than any connection requires communication, and thus uploading of info, and the slow latency of a modem, it must make it real shitty sometimes... I've always been curious to see how well it works.

Obviously, it has to be better than normal modem, though, so I don't blame anyone for getting it. Some places with shitty phone lines get less than 20k connections with their 56k modem... imagine that.