PDA

View Full Version : Ever spent this much for a Puppy?

war_ner
09-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Couple pay £4,000 to rescue stray pup

A British couple spent £4,000 adopting a starving puppy who followed them for eight hours as they trekked across an extinct volcano.

Jonathan Cooksley, 43, and wife Nicola, 47, fell in love with the Portuguese pointer during their trek in Sao Miguel in the Azores.

They grew so fond of the pooch they adopted him and named him Mears after TV survival expert Ray Mears, reports the Daily Telegraph.

He followed them up a mountainside, through undergrowth, across a volcanic lake and - finally - back to their hotel.

Once there, the Cooksleys, who have never owned a dog before, planned to turn Mears over to an animal pound but were told that, if they did, he would be put down.

So now - after being flown to Britain - Mears is going through six months in quarantine kennels before beginning a new life in Dorset.

"We think it is all worth it," said Mrs Cooksley, 47, a recruitment consultant, from Dorchester.

The mother of two, who makes daily, 30-mile trips to visit Mears in quarantine, added: "He is such a lovely dog. Only one person has told us we must be mad - everyone else says it is a lovely story."

Janell
09-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Ahhh I think it's a ton of money and the kennel should cut them a break but I think it's a cute story.

Panky
09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Obviously the dog was meant to be with them. I think a deal should be worked out with the kennel. Other than that, it's cool.

There's people who spend much more than that to either purchase the dog and/or medical bills and such.

princess
09-07-2005, 05:13 PM
nope. I paid $300 bucks for my pom which broke his leg two days after I got him. that vet bill was $200 then follow up visits for dressing changes ended up being close to $300.

I ended up getting insurance on the poor thing just in case something else happens.

aimeesweet
09-07-2005, 06:13 PM
That's so sweet!

war_ner
09-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Well, for me I can't say, but as long as my puppy is here with me I always treat him as part of the family. I value him as much as I value my brothers and sisters. I don't think that can be described on monetary value.