PDA

View Full Version : Ca·nuck

Rochard
09-29-2005, 12:38 PM
In another thread (on some other lesser board) I called someone my "favorite Canuck". After giving it some thought I look up the definition of "Canuck" and was told it is "often considered offensive slang".

Is this true?

sherie
09-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Depending on who you ask I suppose. I don't find it offensive, hell we even have a hockey team called the "Vancouver Canucks". I suppose if you were condescending when using the term it could be taken as derogartory, but for the most part we will accept it as an endearing term :)

Rochard
09-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Well that makes me a feel a bit better.

Ronaldo
09-29-2005, 02:11 PM
There's always gonna be some jackass that gets offended by anything someone says.

For example:

"Good Morning"

"What's so good about it?"

Example 2

"Merry Christmas!"

"I'm Jewish"

So really there's no point in trying to make everyone happy, because in the long run you're only gonna make yourself miserable trying to figure out what everyone else's problem is.

This piece of sociological advice brought to you by the good folks at the American Sociological Association (http://www.asanet.org/index.ww) where, "We may not actually BE better than you, but we'll sure make it sound like we are."

Rochard
09-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Some people have a sense of humor; Other's don't.

I'm Polish and Irish. I'm surely not offended by jokes about either.

(How to do confuse a Pollock? Put him in a round room and tell him to pee in the corner!)

Evil Chris
09-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Canuck has never bothered me at all.
Isn't it kinda the equivalent of "Yank"?

Ronaldo
09-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Rochard
Some people have a sense of humor; Other's don't.

I'm Polish and Irish. I'm surely not offended by jokes about either.

(How to do confuse a Pollock? Put him in a round room and tell him to pee in the corner!)
Good, then you'll appreciate these.

One of my favorite jokes of all time...

Polands worst air disaster occured today when a small 2 seat plane crashed into a cemetary this morning.

Polish search and rescue workers have recovered over 200 bodies so far and expect the number to climb as the digging continues into the night.

And, being Irish I like this one too.

What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish wake? One less drunken Irishman.

Rochard
09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Ronaldo

Polands worst air disaster occured today when a small 2 seat plane crashed into a cemetary this morning.

Polish search and rescue workers have recovered over 200 bodies so far and expect the number to climb as the digging continues into the night.

What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish wake? One less drunken Irishman.

The first one put a smile on my face.

The second one cracked me up!

Jimmidean
10-02-2005, 08:07 AM
I have no problem with Canuck at all.
What I do have trouble with is when people chase me around going "hey say ehhh dude do that ehhh thing"
ALL Canadians do to use "eh" in every sentence
Eh !

Rochard
10-02-2005, 02:21 PM
JFK - in person and on ICQ - tends to say "ehh" a lot. I think it's rather charming.

war_ner
10-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Ronaldo

Kinda offensive for them but derfinitely a funny joke for me.