PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for the future

Evil Chris
10-14-2005, 07:47 PM
I found these predictions in Macleans magazine.
Some of them are very realistic, while others not as much.
What do you think?

by 2015
- Demand for oil will increase from roughly 75 million barrels per day in 2000 to more than 100 million barrels per day.
- Nearly half the world's population - more than 3 billion people - living in Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, and northern China will be thirsting and "water-stressed"
- A sick person's DNA profile will allow doctors to better tailor treatments for a wide variety of diseases.
- Livestock will be commercially cloned.

by 2020
- World population hits 7.6 billion
- First samples returned from Mars show no fossil evidence of life.
- Infertile men use the DNA in their skin to clone stem cells that are then persuaded to grow into functioning sperm. Nine months later, the first stem-cell-sperm child is born.
- Astromomers discover extraterrestrial intelligence
- Retinal projectors redefine the home-theatre experience

by 2030
- Population odometer hits 8.2 billion
- Scientists create a gene to increase the three colour-producing cones in our eyes (red, green, and blue) to FOUR, enabling us to see new hues that we can't even imagine now.
- We reach Vernor Vinge's (http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html) deadline for singularity, the point at which technology gives rise to "entities with greater than human intelligence".

by 2040
- Population? 8.7 billion
- Physicists figure out the origin of the universe
- Human power is increasingly battery powered. We'll be riding ultra-compact cars, bi-cycles and our scooterboards to Wal-Mart, the only grocery chain in the world.

by 2050
- 9.1 billion people wandering around
- The availability of fresh water is now limited only by the energy costs of transportation and desalinization.

by 2060 to 2100
- Human longevity increased by 30 years
- Vertical take-off and landing vehicles become popular
- Genetic engineering of humans creates a hostile super-race
- Most of the planet is now using a common currency
- Humans will learn almost all they will ever know about the laws of physics
- Travel faster than the speed of light becomes possible.
- An immortality chip allows humans to upload into cyberspace

Rochard
10-15-2005, 12:30 AM
My mother always used to tell me about what they had told her when she was a kid in high school. They predicted that by the 1980's all cities would be in a huge dome because of air pollution and we would drive cars that flew in the air.

Well, they were a little bit off.

Mr. Blue
10-15-2005, 12:40 AM
by Oct. 15, 2005 at 12:40 am

-Mr. Blue will have consumed a beer

axedbydax
10-15-2005, 11:17 AM
On October 15, 11:24 pm axedbydax will posting on this thread...lol...

Thanks for the info Chris..I really belive on some of those coz it already happened

Ronaldo
10-16-2005, 10:40 PM
lol, I hadn't looked at MacLean's magazine for over a year.

Then you go and post the ONE that I looked at last week while sitting on the in-law's shitter.

Being there for a wedding, reading MacLeans in that venue was the highlight of my weekend.

StaceyJo
10-17-2005, 01:40 AM
who knows maybe happen or not... I think one thing for sure is growing of population...

MindyBlingBucks
10-17-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't think we'll "figure out the universe" by 2040. Or at least, someone might say they did, but I don't think it'll be correct.

vp0.net
10-19-2005, 04:40 AM
very interesting predictions

gnat69
10-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Some of that is some scarry shit if you really think about it. As far as AI's call me crazy I think they are already here......

wildgirl
10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
hmmm that's a very interesting prediction :)

DonMike
10-19-2005, 07:05 PM
- Genetic engineering of humans creates a hostile super-race

LOL! Someone's been watching too many bad sci-fi movies.

How about this one...

In 1977 a supercomputer succeeds in raping it's creator's wife in order to create it self a life in a hybrid baby.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075931/

:badcomp:

Th!nk
10-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Very informative! Thanks for posting it! I believe it's true, cause we all have sign that its coming!

monaro
10-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris

by 2030
- Population odometer hits 8.2 billion
- Scientists create a gene to increase the three colour-producing cones in our eyes (red, green, and blue) to FOUR, enabling us to see new hues that we can't even imagine now.
- We reach Vernor Vinge's (http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~phoenix/vinge/vinge-sing.html) deadline for singularity, the point at which technology gives rise to "entities with greater than human intelligence".

far out mate the fourth dimension, maybe people might be able to see time instead of trying to find time :p