PDA

View Full Version : John Lennon

Evil Chris
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
It was 25 years ago today that John Lennon was murdered in New York City, just as he was entering his home on New York's west side.

Does anyone remember where they were when they heard that news?

It was the morning after (the 9th) at the breakfast table in my house when I heard it on the radio. Even as a 15 year old, I was quite shocked at the news and wondered why anyone would want to harm this peace loving man. I was also a big fan of the Beatles music, and most all of their individual solo work.

Continue to rest in peace, John.

TheLegacy
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
I was around 21 in my first year of seminary when I heard the news. My class was starting shortly but I simply couldnt go and sat in my room with a cup of hot chocolate going over his songs and a poster I had and cried that the world has now changed for the worse and we lost an ambassador.

Sadly no one understood simply religious groups didnt really care for him, but there was a sense of shock for everyone.

Vid Vicious
12-08-2005, 12:43 PM
all day on Chom 97.7 FM is a retrospective on his life ...

Vid Vicious
12-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by TheLegacy
I was around 21 in my first year of seminary when I heard the news. My class was starting shortly but I simply couldnt go and sat in my room with a cup of hot chocolate going over his songs and a poster I had and cried that the world has now changed for the worse and we lost an ambassador.

Sadly no one understood simply religious groups didnt really care for him, but there was a sense of shock for everyone. \

I was much younger then legacy when I first heard the news ... i think I was in school .. Needless to say I was very saddened by this news, I was a huge fan at the time of his death

Evil Chris
12-08-2005, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't say I was a huge fan at that time, but still a fan. I understood what he stood for.

My main music interests at that time were Pink Floyd, Kiss, and Cheap Trick.

LAJ
12-08-2005, 02:23 PM
I was 12 years old and in 7th grade. I heard the news on TV that night just before bedtime and just couldn't understand why someone would hurt John Lennon at all. It just made no sense to me whatsoever. I was a fan of their music since I was a kid (my parents had all their stuff on 8-track :)) I also ended up reading "Catcher in the Rye" as a result of this and found it boring.

Seska
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I remember where I was and who told me. Upstairs hallway in elementry school / guy named Mike P. We were taking off our winter boots. I wonder why it is so vivid a memory for me. I think it might be because he was shot. Gun violence always troubles me.

xxxmalouxxx
12-08-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure I have an idea of what was going on in those days.. But as I grew up... I began to love their songs... and his songs for yoko..

he is a man of true talent and a loving hubby and father..

HAIR FOR PEACE!!!

-M

StaceyJo
12-09-2005, 04:42 AM
I was 11 when he died, I think he always be remembered!!!

gunner
12-09-2005, 11:14 AM
I remember all the media coverage, the pictures of the front steps where it happened, the images of J. David Chapman.

One of the songs he wrote for his mother, "Julia" is still what I consider one of the top ten most beautiful musical pieces ever written.

topjimmy
12-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Wow... I was 15 and a huge Beatles fan. I had just got up to take a piss and my Dad told me he was just murdered. I was half way asleep and it did not "register". It hit me the next day. John Lennon was the main reason I became a musician and I am still playing to this day. Thanks John!

war_ner
12-12-2005, 05:51 AM
I've saw a documentary of his life on cable..

I am just happy he left us with great music..

axedbydax
12-12-2005, 12:20 PM
John Lennon for me is a very very talented man. I've loved all his songs eventhough I was unaware of those happenings when he was murdered. Some of his songs that I love most are : HAPPY CHRISTMAS..WAR IS OVER and JEALOUS GUY