PDA

View Full Version : Judge: Fetuses Don't Count in HOV Lanes

MorganGrayson
01-12-2006, 12:11 PM
PHOENIX (AP) - Fetuses do not count as passengers when it comes to determining who may drive in the carpool lane, a judge ruled.

Candace Dickinson was fined $367 for improper use of a carpool lane, but contended the fetus inside her womb allowed her to use the lane. Motorists who use the lanes normally must carry at least one passenger during weekday rush hours.

Municipal Judge Dennis Freeman rejected Dickinson's argument Tuesday, applying a "common sense" definition in which an individual is someone who occupies a "separate and distinct" space in a vehicle.

"The law is meant to fill empty space in a vehicle," the judge said.

Sgt. Dave Norton stopped Dickinson's car Nov. 8. When asked how many people were in the car, Dickinson said two, pointing to "her obvious pregnancy," the officer said.

Norton said Dickinson's theory "would require officers to carry guns, radios and pregnancy testers, and I don't think we want to go there."

I'd like to see your license and registration, have you walk a straight line...and pee on this little stick....

TheLegacy
01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
OMG - that is too funny

sadly though I can see why it wasn't allowed since to acknowledge a fetus as a life form would give anti-abortionists a strong case on their side.

MorganGrayson
01-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by TheLegacy
OMG - that is too funny

sadly though I can see why it wasn't allowed since to acknowledge a fetus as a life form would give anti-abortionists a strong case on their side.

Legacy...that's very true, and a salient point. I do believe, however, that the Judge's reaction was more along the lines of "oh, for fuck's sake...."

I once knew a woman who had one of those names that could be either male or female. (Kind of like...oh..."Morgan." :) ) Through an error, she got a notice to report for the draft. (This, of course, occured back when there was one.) She threw it out. The uniformed people showed up at her door. She answered the door, listened to their canned speech, and pointed down at her quite visible pregancy.

She had to get a note from her doctor affirming she was female.

Our government at work.

Trouble Tonya
01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
I love when the government makes a VERY obviously pregnant lady PROVE it beyond a shadow of a doubt...pretty stupid if you ask me!