PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Pickett Dies of Heart Attack at 64

MorganGrayson
01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Wilson Pickett, the soul pioneer best known for the fiery hits "Mustang Sally" and "In The Midnight Hour," died of a heart attack Thursday in a Reston, Va., hospital, according to his management company. He was 64.

Chris Tuthill of the management company Talent Source said Pickett had been suffering from health problems for the past year. Pickett lived in Ashburn, Va.

"He did his part. It was a great ride, a great trip, I loved him and I'm sure he was well-loved, and I just hope that he's given his props," Michael Wilson Pickett, the singer's son, told WRC-TV in Washington after his death.

Pickett - known as "the Wicked Wilson Pickett" - became a star with his soulful hits in the 1960s. "In the Midnight Hour" made the top 25 on the Billboard pop charts in 1965 and "Mustang Sally" did the same the following year.

"A fellow Detroiter, Wilson Pickett was one of the greatest soul singers of all time," Aretha Franklin said in a statement. "He will absolutely be missed. I am thankful that I got the chance to speak to him not too long ago."

Pickett was defined by his raspy voice and passionate delivery. But the Alabama-born Pickett got his start singing gospel music in church. After moving to Detroit as a teen, he joined the group the Falcons, which scored the hit "I Found a Love" with Pickett on lead vocals in 1962.

He went solo a year later, and would soon find his greatest success. In 1965, he linked with legendary soul producer Jerry Wexler at the equally legendary soul label Stax Records in Memphis, and recorded one of his greatest hits, "In the Midnight Hour," for Atlantic Records. A string of hits followed, including "634-5789,""Funky Broadway" and "Mustang Sally." His sensuous soul was in sharp contrast to the genteel soul songs of his Detroit counterparts at Motown Records.

Wilson Pickett, left, salutes the audience after performing with Bruce Springsteen, center, Paul Shaeffer, and others in this Monday, March 15, 1999 file photo, in New York. Pickett, the soul pioneer best known for the fiery hits "Mustang Sally" and "In The Midnight Hour," died of a heart attack Thursday, Jan. 19, 2006 according to his management company. He was 64.

StaceyJo
01-21-2006, 12:19 AM
now thats so sad, rest in peace!

war_ner
01-23-2006, 01:46 AM
RIP Winston.

wildgirl
01-25-2006, 11:20 AM
sad news...R.I.P.

Evil Chris
01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Wow he was WAY too young to go. RIP.

MorganGrayson
01-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
Wow he was WAY too young to go. RIP.

Yes, he was. :(

It's funny how the older you get, the younger those who pass seem to be.

Talk about young...Chris Penn passed, as well. That one really rocked both my husband and I. :(
I've seen him in a lot of things since he played Kevin Bacon's goofy buddy in "Footloose," but I'll always remember the dancing scene in the football field. A classic.