PDA

View Full Version : Are TV Crime Shows Educating Criminals?

TheLegacy
01-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Do you watch TV shows like “CSI” or “Bones”?

Turns out, a lot of criminals do, too.

Authorities in the U.S. say they’re seeing increasing signs that programs based on forensic sciences are impacting their investigations into serious crimes like murder, rape and assault.

Many are discovering the kind of trace evidence they relied on for clues is being destroyed by the perpetrators. Their theory: the crooks are learning how to cover their tracks by watching the crime shows.

"They're actually educating these potential killers even more," complains L.A. County Sheriff’s Homicide Dept. head Capt. Ray Peavy. "Sometimes I believe it may even encourage them when they see how simple it is to get away with on television."

The accused, a 25-year-old named Jermaine “Maniac” McKinney, is alleged to have used bleach to remove his victims' blood from his hands, spread a blanket in his car to avoid transferring evidence to the seats, burned the bodies and his clothing, and even removed cigarette butts from the scene to hide any DNA trail.

He was supposedly foiled when a crowbar he allegedly used to bludgeon one of the women wouldn’t sink in a nearby lake because it was covered with ice. He remains in custody and could get the death penalty if convicted.

"People are getting more sophisticated with making sure they're not leaving trace evidence at crime scenes," worries local prosecutor Chuck Morrow.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060130-008/page.asp

MorganGrayson
01-30-2006, 02:27 PM
They have to be educating criminals.

They're certainly educating writers.

I know much more now about writing a "crime story" than I would have previously, not having read my "Forensics For Dummies" book yet. (Yes, I do have one of those, and that's exactly what it's called.)

war_ner
01-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I think that's possible. Most of the plots and processes they are showing there do have scientific and logical basis..

cdsmith
01-31-2006, 12:21 AM
So..... there should be no more crime shows on TV? It sounds like the writer of that article thinks so.

Somehow I don't see that happening anytime soon.

MorganGrayson
01-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by cdsmith
So..... there should be no more crime shows on TV? It sounds like the writer of that article thinks so.

Somehow I don't see that happening anytime soon.

No, it won't.

And despite the "education" of criminals...the asshole mentioned threw a crowbar...onto a frozen lake. So much for higher education....

Rochard
01-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Criminals are stupid. In every case during a crime the criminal makes a mistake, something they didn't think about or never even imagined would lead to them, and they get caught. It's just plain dumb luck when they don't get caught.

MorganGrayson
01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Rochard
Criminals are stupid. In every case during a crime the criminal makes a mistake, something they didn't think about or never even imagined would lead to them, and they get caught. It's just plain dumb luck when they don't get caught.

Rochard...this is very true and one of the saving graces of law enforcement. If they weren't stupid, they wouldn't be criminals. (I admit to the simplicity of that remark, but it's nonetheless true.) They always make mistakes. It's up to law enforcement to find the mistake.

If a suspect shows up covered with bleach, he's in effect signed a confession. He may have succeeded in corrupting the DNA, but he's narrowed the focus of the detectives. They know they have the right guy. They just have to find his mistake.

Frankly, if it weren't for "CSI," all it would take is a tour of the internet. The information on *anything* is out there. If one can find the plans to build a dirty bomb, one can also find the ways to disrupt a forensic investigation.

I've mentioned the book "Forensics for Dummies" before. I bought it to add to my research library for writing. But...I showed no ID nor did I fill out a form attesting to my plans for the book. It was $9.95. I'm certain that even a semi-bright criminal could have figured out how to buy the book and learn from it.

war_ner
02-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Well, as we see, it's still Horacio who ends up kicking the asss of those criminals. We got nothing to worry. :D

gnat69
02-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I am sure it is. I for one am addicted to CSI Vegas/Miami and i have learned so much, everytime I do something I think I have just left my DNA there then I wipe it down....LOL I know I am a freak!!! hehehe

war_ner
02-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by gnat69
I am sure it is. I for one am addicted to CSI Vegas/Miami and i have learned so much, everytime I do something I think I have just left my DNA there then I wipe it down....LOL I know I am a freak!!! hehehe

Hahaha, too much time spent on CSI miami dude. :D

MorganGrayson
02-02-2006, 11:19 AM
I've always been fascinated how my local news is a day behind board posts...so I wasn't surprised that this article was featured on the news. They failed to mention how the guy was caught, though, which not only left out the "criminals are intrinsically stupid" aspect, it failed to explain how - if he'd learned so damned much - he ended up in handcuffs being put into the back of a police car.

I read a lot of fiction that focuses on criminals and one of the things that always has fascinated me was how they manage to wipe down a hotel room, apartment or car so totally that there are absolutely NO fingerprints left. I suppose not everyone has a fire extinguisher handy.

gnat69
02-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by war_ner
Hahaha, too much time spent on CSI miami dude. :D

LOL....:D good job