PDA

View Full Version : The future of hosting

sofy60
02-27-2006, 01:33 PM
The future of hosting

Who thinks websites will be hosted on the home pc one day ? When is this day coming ?

MorganGrayson
02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
It's an interesting concept, sofy. When I first started this long and arduous journey, I barely understood how information got from my computer to my daughter's computer in the next room...via Atlanta. (We used to ICQ each other through the bedroom wall and giggle at the marvel of it all.) Those days are long gone and so much has changed.

Since things change so much so rapidly I couldn't begin to predict when we'll all become our own hosts, but the concept no longer seems as strange as it once did.

I know it will happen, though...and I'll have yet another learning curve to climb.

Evil Chris
02-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Advances in broadband technology will indeed make this a possibility. In fact, in our lifetime. That isn't to say it'll put today's hosting companies out of business. The smart ones will go with the flow of technology.

Rochard
02-27-2006, 10:26 PM
What do you mean "someday"? Sometimes I wonder if any of you know anything.

My very first website was in fact hosting on my own computer. You just set up a server and figure out your IP address. I'm sure it could be done today but no one really has a fast enough connection. As soon as the average connection catches up to what a hosting company can offer, it's all over.

However, in our business, 100% uptime is a must. If power goes out at your house and your out girl watching at the mall, you can't call up your hosting company and have them fix it. Hosting companies will still be around.