PDA

View Full Version : Did you watch the Academy Awards?

Evil Chris
03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
FB and I had it on in the background last night. We watched some of it.
It was nice that many different movies took home oscars this year without one single film dominating too much.

I was happy that Crash won as best picture.

Oh, and I didn't notice what anyone was wearing, either.

Nickatilynx
03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
I loved it Darlings!

What can I say!!

I laughed , I cried ....I'd just like to thank well everyone I have ever known....

;-))

Best line???

"Walk the line? Its "Ray" with white people"

:)

Evil Chris
03-06-2006, 12:41 PM
hahaha....

I thought Jon Stewart did a good job. Nobody will ever be as good as Letterman was years ago though. He basically ignored the script all night and was never invited back again.

Oh shit I lied... I do remember John Travolta's gold tie.
Am I normal?

MorganGrayson
03-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
hahaha....

I thought Jon Stewart did a good job. Nobody will ever be as good as Letterman was years ago though. He basically ignored the script all night and was never invited back again.

Oh shit I lied... I do remember John Travolta's gold tie.
Am I normal?

Let's just say the people from "Brokeback Webmasters" called....

:p

Shane
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Oh man, I missed it!
Did Narnia win any awards?

Evil Chris
03-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Shane
Oh man, I missed it!
Did Narnia win any awards? They won for best make-up.

MorganGrayson
03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
The only movie up for anything that I've seen, oddly, is "Crash." I'm glad it won for Best Picture, because it did tackle an important theme and did it well, I thought.

I also feel as if I watched Matt Dillon grow up. He used to play snot nosed kids you wanted to slap...and turned into a character in this movie that you still wanted to slap...but then.... It was a good performance.

Racism is alive and well and living in America and we can't be allowed to forget that.

My husband's office mate is a young black man that I call his "son." My husband rarely develops close friendships, but this guy went right under my husband's wing to learn about life. My reaction rather rocked the young man, especally when he was informed that I truly believed that somewhere out there was this wonderful black woman my husband had slept with to cause this guy...and I wanted to meet her. :) He helped us move, and when I told him that I was hijacking his daughter because I wanted grandchildren and my own daughters hadn't delivered...he took a while to process that. I could see the big thought bubble with "this is one strange white lady" over his head.

In California, where "Crash" is set, there is a huge mixture of races. If one wanted to be bigoted, one certainly has the chance. If one wants to meet diverse people and have some outstanding food, one also has the chance.

They mentioned "Brokeback Mountain" being an "issue movie" as well, which is why it got so much press. It's a more "popular" issue. People talk a lot about gay rights now. It seems that people like to pretend that racism is something of our past and no longer relevant. That's not even close to the truth, as anyone with anything other than an Anglo Saxon background will be quick to verify.

war_ner
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MorganGrayson
They mentioned "Brokeback Mountain" being an "issue movie" as well, which is why it got so much press. It's a more "popular" issue. People talk a lot about gay rights now. It seems that people like to pretend that racism is something of our past and no longer relevant. That's not even close to the truth, as anyone with anything other than an Anglo Saxon background will be quick to verify.

I really thought Brokeback Mountain would take home that award but I was wrong.

gnat69
03-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx
I loved it Darlings!

What can I say!!

I laughed , I cried ....I'd just like to thank well everyone I have ever known....

;-))

Best line???

"Walk the line? Its "Ray" with white people"

:)

I was ROTFF with this one.....LOL :bonk: