PDA

View Full Version : Snow Sucks

Bhelliom
03-10-2006, 03:43 PM
GUYSBOROUGH, N.S. (CP) - A Nova Scotia couple facing an $800 municipal bill for refusing to shovel the snow from their sidewalk have paid half that amount to save their home from being sold by town officials.

John and Rona McQuillan of Guysborough have refused to shovel the 20 metres of sidewalk in front of their house since the municipality introduced a snow-clearing bylaw five years ago.

The municipality told the couple they would have to pay at least $400 by Friday or face losing their home in a tax sale - a demand the McQuillans called blackmail.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2006/03/10/1481886-cp.html

Now on the one hand, I want to say.... just shovel the damn sidewalk... its the polite thing to do in the first place....

But on the other hand, lose your house in a tax sale for a 400$ fine? seems a little extreme of the city. And how do they do that anyways? I'm sure they pay their municipal taxes... and unlessi 'm mistaken a fine isn't the same thing as a tax.... so how do they justify selling their home from under them in the first place?

Funbrunette
03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
That's got to suck...lol

A GF of mine didn't clear up her steps to her mailbox, well the post office left a nasty note saying she would no longer receive her mail unless she picked it up at the post office! These people have too much power! :rolleyes:

Sin
03-10-2006, 04:10 PM
That sucks...

And snow does suck... after I made some comment yesterday to Newton about how he should 'call me when the snow's gone' what do I wake up to this morning?

That's right! Snow!

-_-'

Thank god I live on the island though & its disappearing, should be all gone by this evening... tomorrow morning at the latest.

King Adam
03-10-2006, 04:17 PM
What a shitty thing to do. Yeah they should just shovel it but to take their house over it ... come on now.

MorganGrayson
03-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I remember being a small child walking to elementary school and suddenly hitting the house that didn't shovel their sidewalk, and having to backtrack to a driveway and walk out in the street until I got to another driveway and could continue on shoveled sidewalk. Had I known any curse words at the time, I would have used them.

But taking someone's house? Uh...no. Fine them, sure.

FB...we once had a neighbor whose dogs consistently jumped the fence. One of them, a gorgeous Samoyed, loved kids. So, this dog hung out on my front porch and played with the kids. My front porch became part of this dog's "territory," and he defended it and the kids quite well. Naturally, we got a nasty note from the post office, telling us to "restrain our dog." Telling them that it wasn't our dog had no effect. I enquired of the dog why it didn't just go home. The dog smiled the way Samoyeds smile and said "because if I stay here, I get played with, I get petted and the kids sneak me food when they think you're not looking." "Oh," I said and went back in the house.

Evil Chris
03-12-2006, 10:42 AM
the snow is finally melting here. It was 15 degrees yesterday.
But that isn't to say it's over.

Montreal has been known to have early April snowstorms.

war_ner
03-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Better deal with it or deal with the fine.. :(