PDA

View Full Version : Dumb without Dumber Down Under

MorganGrayson
03-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Next, he should try finding the Great Wall (Article title)

CANBERRA (Reuters) - A drunk driver just 100 yards from Australia's iconic giant monolith once known as Ayers Rock stopped police to ask the way to the 1,100-foot-high rock.

The headlights of the man's car were actually shining on Uluru, which has a 5.8-mile circumference, Northern Territory police said.

The 44-year-old man, whose car was also towing an aluminum boat, has been charged with drunk driving and unlicensed driving.

I made a bet with myself...and I won. I wondered how stupid and/or drunk this guy was...towing a boat...so I looked up Ayers Rock.

From the travel site, where Ayers Rock is also called "Uluru":

Uluru is situated near the centre of a semi-arid desert, Temperatures can range from 3.5° C in July to 37.5° C in January. On average Uluru-Kata Tjuta receives approximately 308mm (12 inches) per year, so not much at all.

Yeppers. This guy was towing a BOAT in the middle of a DESERT. There is a waterhole mentioned, but no information as to whether or not this "waterhole" supports boating.

Most people get to the rock via camel ride.

I'm a "desert rat," so I think it's gorgeous.

Dravyk
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Police shouldn't have arrested him until after he launched his boat, damnit! :D

MorganGrayson
03-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk
Police shouldn't have arrested him until after he launched his boat, damnit! :D

Every so periodically, someone out on one of the bays here gets arrested for "drunken boat driving." (It always makes the news for some reason. We do like our water around here.)

I wonder what the Aussie authorities would have charged him with if he'd attempted to launch his boat...up that huge, gorgeous rock? ::-|