PDA

View Full Version : Think "disguise," Bubba

MorganGrayson
04-13-2006, 08:17 AM
The article:

ELKO, Nev. (AP) - A man accused of burglarizing a laundromat in Elko figured he made a clean escape over the weekend when he took off with the store's six video surveillance cameras.

But it turns out he left some rather compelling evidence behind - the video machine and videotape that recorded his face each time he stood in front of the cameras at the Southside Laundry.

Elko police said they came away with several close-ups of the suspect, Robert Lynn White, 52, Elko.

And even if the portraits were a little fuzzy, police said they would have been able to easily identify him because he was wearing cowboy chaps and a trench coat, the usual attire he wears around town.

Police are still working to recover the missing cameras but in the meantime they have arrested White on suspicion of grand larceny. The store is owned by Elko County Commissioner John Ellison.

The inevitable commentary:

*Six* "video surveillance cameras?? There are banks that don't have that many. Either this laundromat is in one bad ass neighborhood or it's the size of a small airport.

"Cowboy chaps and a trenchcoat"?? Now that's an outfit. I'm trying to get a mental visual on that and I keep getting Sharon Stone in that western. Somehow, I doubt he pulled it off as well, though.

Is there a big market for stolen surveillance cameras? You've got to love the irony. It's like a breaking into a suburban home and making away with the burglar alarm...and nothing else.

Now, admitttedly I don't spend a lot of time in laundromats anymore, since I stopped being a young apartment dweller. But I used to have a comforter that needed to go to the laundromat and be washed in their huge machine. This laundromat didn't have surveillance video cameras, but it did have a machine on the wall that provided change when one inserted bills. I'm sure this laundromat had one, too. Also washers, dryers, detergent and misc. machine, soda machine - and being Nevada, most likely a one-armed bandit or two that took MONEY. Yanno, that stuff most people steal. So...instead of going around and cracking open the machines and gettting the $$$, this clown swiped the surveillance cameras. That's just flat out dumb.

I wonder why a County Commissioner owns a laundromat?