PDA

View Full Version : downloading music

Evil Chris
05-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Well this is a bit of a first for me.
I downloaded the entire new album from Pearl Jam today.

It's a first because normally I would purchase the CD in the usual way.
Although I have downloaded individual songs from iTunes before, this is the first time I download an entire album (if I can still call it an album).

By the way, I'm listening now and it's great! :cool:

gnat69
05-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Too bad I could have brought you that CD for Free.....)c: since I am going to see you next month

DonMike
05-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I was resistant to that too, Chris. I like to have the physical CD. But I bought one of the Eurythmics reissues a few months ago and it sat on my desk, and every time I was out and about with my iPod in the car I'd think "damn, I wish I had ripped that damn CD." So now I just by them through itunes. Saves me the trouble. But don't forget to back it all up!!!

Evil Chris
05-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by DonMike
I was resistant to that too, Chris. I like to have the physical CD. But I bought one of the Eurythmics reissues a few months ago and it sat on my desk, and every time I was out and about with my iPod in the car I'd think "damn, I wish I had ripped that damn CD." So now I just by them through itunes. Saves me the trouble. But don't forget to back it all up!!! Well that brings me to a question. Is it possible to take those iTunes downloads and create a music CD for the car?

DonMike
05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
Well that brings me to a question. Is it possible to take those iTunes downloads and create a music CD for the car?

Yes. And it's really easy. You just make a playlist of whatever songs you want on your CD. Then you go to that playlist and click on the little round icon in the top right hand corner of your iTunes player. It will calculate the length of your MP3's and burn a CD. If you have too many it will tell you. The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to tell the total length of your playlist while you're putting the songs in. If anyone can help me with that I'd be very appreciative.

Oh, and Chris, keep in mind that anything purchased in iTunes can only be copied a few times. So it's a good idea to burn a music CD backup of anything you buy. That way, if you really want to copy it and you've exceeded the number of times it will allow you, you can just rip your backup as a new MP3.

DonMike
05-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Oh, and play around with the preferences. iTunes has some nifty extras, such as adding spaces between songs and stuff like that, so you may as well get the most out of it. :)

twinkley
05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey Don!

It seems like you know alot about itunes ... i havent really downloaded anything or used it at all, because i have heard horror stories about property rights and limited copies ... i destroy CD's tho, so we burn our cd's to file and keep them that way ...

Is there any good way around the limited copy thing in itunes? Seems to me if you pay for something, its yours, and you should be able to keep it forever ><

twinkley

DonMike
05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by twinkley
Hey Don!

It seems like you know alot about itunes ... i havent really downloaded anything or used it at all, because i have heard horror stories about property rights and limited copies ... i destroy CD's tho, so we burn our cd's to file and keep them that way ...

Is there any good way around the limited copy thing in itunes? Seems to me if you pay for something, its yours, and you should be able to keep it forever ><

twinkley

The only way around it is to do what I had said earlier, just burn the files to a CD, but not as the mp4 (or whatever the hell they are called) file, you need to burn the CD as a regular music CD. Then you rip that CD as mp3 files back into your computer. A little primitive but it works. Once it's an mp3 file you can do whatever you want with it.

Evil Chris
05-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by DonMike
Yes. And it's really easy. You just make a playlist of whatever songs you want on your CD. Then you go to that playlist and click on the little round icon in the top right hand corner of your iTunes player. It will calculate the length of your MP3's and burn a CD. If you have too many it will tell you. The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to tell the total length of your playlist while you're putting the songs in. If anyone can help me with that I'd be very appreciative.

Oh, and Chris, keep in mind that anything purchased in iTunes can only be copied a few times. So it's a good idea to burn a music CD backup of anything you buy. That way, if you really want to copy it and you've exceeded the number of times it will allow you, you can just rip your backup as a new MP3. Thanks Don! This is precisely the kind of thing I needed to know about.

That is strange that you're limited in the number of times you can copy from iTunes to a CD, but your backup plan will indeed get around it.

-=LC=-
05-06-2006, 09:59 AM
I buy my mp3's from this site:
http://www.allofmp3.com/
and I heard others say they like it, too.

Stephane76
05-07-2006, 07:05 PM
my 2 cents on it, i personnaly use easynews.com, they allow 20 Gb of transfer per month for 10 bucks. You can download directly the mp3 file, or check the ones you wanna have an import them on a zip file.

oceania
05-08-2006, 10:05 AM
damn i wish i had an ipod
getting one for my daughter for her b'day

maybe in my next life i can come back as my kid

DonMike
05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by -=LC=-
I buy my mp3's from this site:
http://www.allofmp3.com/
and I heard others say they like it, too.

You know, I saw this site but I was afraid to give my credit card info. Something just seemed odd about charging so little for that music. Have you had any problems?