PDA

View Full Version : Who killed the electric car?

Evil Chris
07-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Saw this trailer today. I never really knew just how far these things took off before they were removed from the market.

More ammo against American big business I guess!
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/whokilledtheelectriccar/trailer/

MorganGrayson
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Off topic...sort of...one of my husband's professors was once involved in a research project to develop a new form of wallboard to put up in home construction. The team developed a form that was cheaper, lighter to carry, better at insulating and more ecologically friendly than the existing wallboard "biggie." He found out later that the entire project had been funded by the company that created the most used wallboard. They took all of the patents and stuck them in a drawer so that contractors would continue to go on using the expensive and inferior product they were currently producing. The professor theorizes that somewhere there is a warehouse where all the patents for all the things that would save consumers money and protect the environment are kept to prevent anyone from actually building them.

Just another reason to be "Proud to be an American," I guess. :(

Evil Chris
07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
In fact Morgan, you're right ON topic.
Interesting story.

Servhot
07-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Who killed the electric car?

Exxon and GM I guess :D

Panky
07-16-2006, 01:26 PM
It's the same thing with medicine. Pharmaceutical companies on down the line make far more money treating the patient than they do curing what ails them.

It doesn't matter if you talk about cars, building materials, medicine, ..., whenever there is a superior product, one that will last for many years, if not forever, or conservation products, companies don't make any money on them. They make the money upfront with the high cost associated with the product, but they won't make money in mass production or future repairs, treatments, replacements, and so on.

Quagmire
07-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Its sad to sit hear as a reasonably intelligent human being and know there isn't a damn thing I can do about the problem. Corporations have a stranglehold on us all.

Evil Chris
07-25-2006, 11:30 AM
The big question is... by the time the oil does in fact run out, will the planet be habitable enough?

geck0
07-26-2006, 07:33 PM
The worlds oil producers WILL reach peak oil porduction around 2010 - 2012

Saudi Arabia claims to have reserves for the next 50 years but they have never let an independent source verify this.

I really think most people have no idea how quickly developing mega countries like China and India are consuming oil

If you think gas is expensive now you aint seen anything yet :nuts:

blazi
07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
you know I often wondered, with all this hype about the environment and etc... where the hell are all these electric cars? only makes sense to have them everywhere, mind boggling really, maybe nobody cares about future generations