PDA

View Full Version : Movies with great lines & quotes

Evil Chris
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
One movie that comes to mind right away is American Psycho.
It was FB that originally got me into this movie, and now I can watch it almost anytime. So many great lines and conversations in it. This is a good one:
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Christy, take off your robe.

Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument.

Sabrina, remove your dress.

In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds.

Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it.

But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

RawAlex
08-16-2006, 11:57 AM
The combination of overwhelming intelligence, paranoia, and megomania all in once place. Like gas onto a fire.

My usual prefered line is :

Mark 'Rent-Boy' Renton's (Ewan McGregor) "choose life" diatribe: ("Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a f--king big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose a three piece suit on hire purchased in a range of f--king fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the f--k you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f--king junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarassment to the selfish, f--ked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose a future. Choose life...But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?")

More great speeches:

http://www.filmsite.org/bestspeeches14.html

carol.prime
08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I'd hope to give you forever." -Excerpt from Noah's letter to Allie, The Notebook

Funbrunette
08-16-2006, 01:50 PM
A classic! :laughout:

Tony Montana: "What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of fuckin' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!"

Tony Montana: I never fucked anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand? That piece of shit up there, I never liked him, I never trusted him. For all I know he had me set up and had my friend Angel Fernandez killed. But that's history. I'm here, he's not. Do you wanna go on with me, you say it. You don't, then you make a move.

Panky
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
One movie that comes to mind right away is American Psycho.
It was FB that originally got me into this movie, and now I can watch it almost anytime. So many great lines and conversations in it. This is a good one:

I've never seen that movie.

"I know what you're thinkin', punk. You're thinkin', did he fire six shots or only five? And to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But bein' this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and it'll blow your head clean off, you could ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Yes, I love the "Dirty Harry" series of movies.

Animal House is another one of my all time favorite movies. The part where Belushi says "Guess what I am?" and then he fills his mouth full of potatoes and smashes his cheeks spitting potatoes all over the place and then says, "I'm a zit! Get it?", cracks me up every time.

gnat69
08-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Doc: You know what they say: People in glass houses sink sh... sh... sh... ships.
Rocco: I got to buy you a proverb book or something, because this mix 'n' match shit's got to go.
Doc: What?
Connor: Well, a penny saved is worth two in the bush, isn't it?
Murphy: And don't cross the road if you can't get out of the kitchen.

Paul Smecker: First of all, I'd like to thank whichever one of you donut-munching, barrel-assed, pud-pulling SISSIES leaked this to the press. That's all we need right now: some sensational story in the papers making these guys out to be two superheroes, triumphing over evil. Let me kill the rumors right now: These two are not heroes. They're just two ordinary men who were put in an extraordinary situation and just so happened to come out on top. Yes, nothing from our far-reaching computer system has turned up diddly on these guys. All we know is what we got from the neighbors, and the general consensus is, huh, they're angels. But angels don't kill. And we have two bodies in the morgue that look like they've been serial crushed by some huge friggin' guy.

Boondock Saints 1999

Mindgazer
08-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Marijuana causes far more than mere moral degeneration--it breaks down the mentality of its slaves!

youngsters who turn to banditry for thrills, girls who leap from skyscraper windows, striplings who chop their parents to death . . . .The list of holdups, sex crimes, murders and suicides by marijuana addicts could be multiplied indefinitely!

Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness, there are too many great ones to list.

TheEnforcer
08-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Rounders is full of them.

Mike McDermott: Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker.

Worm: She's really got him by the balls.
Petra: That's not so bad, is it?
Worm: It depends on the grip!

Worm: I guess the sayings' true. In the poker game of life, women are the rake man. They are the fuckin' rake.
Mike McDermott: What the fuck are you talkin' about. What are you saying?
Worm: I-I don't know. There ought to be one though.

TheEnforcer
08-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Star Trek Quotes

"If your lies are going to be this transparent, this is going to be a very short interrogation" -- Kira

"Then I'll try to make my lies more opaque..." -- Gul Darhe'el (Duet)

-------

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak (Improbable Cause)

--------

Bashir: So of the stories you told me, which ones were true?
Garak: My dear doctor, all of them were true.
Bashir: What about the lies?
Garak: Especially the lies.
The Wire

---------

(Bashir tells the story of the boy who cried "Wolf")
Bashir: If you lie all the time, no one is going to believe you, even when you're telling the truth.
Garak: Are you sure that's the point, Doctor?
Bashir: Of course. What else would it be?
Garak: That you should never tell the same lie twice.
Improbable Cause

-------------

The Devil's Advocate quotes

John Milton: Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off. He's a tight-ass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee landlord. Worship that? Never.

----------------

John Milton: Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down.

------------------

Kevin Lomax: What about love?
John Milton: Overrated. Biochemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate.

-------------

John Milton: The worst vice is advice.

-------------

John Milton: Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.

-----------------

John Milton: You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it can split atoms with its desire; you build egos the size of cathedrals; fiber-optically connect the world to every eager impulse; grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green, gold-plated fantasies, until every human becomes an aspiring emperor, becomes his own God... and where can you go from there?

Chasing Amy

Silent Bob: But, by the time I figured this all out, it was too late; she moved on. And all I had to show for it was some foolish pride which then gave way to regret. She was the girl. I know that now. But, I pushed her away. So I've spent everyday since then chasing Amy. So to speak.

---------------

This scene is the best scene Ben Affleck has ever done in his career and the best serious "love" scene I've ever watched. Nothing Affleck has done since has even come close.

Alyssa: Why are we stopping?
Holden: Because I can't take this.
Alyssa: Can't take what?
Holden: I love you.
Alyssa: You love me?
Holden: I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is the furthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't, I can't look into your eyes without feeling that, that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. And I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, because I've never felt this way before, and I don't care. I like who I am because of it. And if bringing this to light means we can't hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But God, I just, I couldn't allow another day to go by without just getting it out there, regardless of the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And, you know, I'll accept that. But I know... I know that some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there is a moment of hesitation, then that means you feel something too. All I ask, please, is that you just, you just not dismiss that - and try to dwell in it for just ten seconds. Alyssa, there isn't another soul on this fucking planet who has ever made me half the person I am when I'm with you, and I would risk this friendship for the chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it is there between you and me. You can't deny that. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again after tonight, please know that I'm forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.

TheEnforcer
08-16-2006, 05:10 PM
This isn't exactly a quote but the Ferengi Rules of Aquisition are ALWAYS well worth a read! especially by people in this business!! LOL

Rule 001 » Once you have their money, you never give it back.

Rule 002 » The best deal is the one that brings the most profit.
Rule 003 » Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to.
Rule 004 » A woman wearing clothes is like a man in the kitchen.
Rule 006 » Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity.
Rule 007 » Keep your ears open.
Rule 008 » Small print leads to large risk.
Rule 009 » Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
Rule 010 » Greed is eternal.
Rule 011 » Even if it's free, you can always buy it cheaper.
Rule 012 » Anything worth doing is worth doing for money.
Rule 013 » Anything worth doing is worth doing twice.
Rule 014 » Keep your family close, keep your Latinum closer.
Rule 016 » A deal is a deal. (until a better one comes along).
Rule 017 » A contract is a contract is a contract - but only between Ferengi.
Rule 018 » A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
Rule 019 » Satisfaction is not guaranteed.
Rule 020 » Only give money to people you know you can steal from.
Rule 021 » Never place friendship before profit.
Rule 022 » A wise man can hear profit in the wind.
Rule 024 » Latinum can't buy happiness, but you can sure have a blast renting it.
Rule 025 » There's always a way out.
Rule 026 » As the customers go, so goes the wise profiteer.
Rule 027 » There's nothing more dangerous than an honest businessman.
Rule 028 » Whisper your way to success.
Rule 029 » What's in it for me?
Rule 031 » Never make fun of a Ferengi's mother. (insult something he cares about, instead).
Rule 033 » It never hurts to suck up to the boss.
Rule 034 » War is good for business.
Rule 035 » Peace is good for business.
Rule 037 » If it's free, take it and worry about hidden costs later.
Rule 039 » Friendship is temporary; profit is forever.
Rule 040 » She can touch your lobes, but never your Latinum.
Rule 041 » Profit is its own reward.
Rule 042 » What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine too.
Rule 044 » Never confuse wisdom with luck.
Rule 045 » Ambition knows no family.
Rule 046 » Make your shop easy to find.
Rule 047 » Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.
Rule 048 » The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife.
Rule 049 » Everything is worth something to somebody.
Rule 050 » Gratitude can bring on generosity.
Rule 051 » Reward anyone who adds to your profits so they will continue to do so.
Rule 052 » Never ask when you can take.
Rule 057 » Good customers are as rare as Latinum, Treasure them.
Rule 058 » There is no substitute for success.
Rule 059 » Free advice is seldom cheap.
Rule 060 » Keep your lies consistent.
Rule 062 » The riskier the road, the greater the profit.
Rule 065 » Win or lose, there's always Huyperian beetle snuff.
Rule 068 » Ear stroking will get you anything.
Rule 069 » Ferengi are not responsible for the stupidity of other races.
Rule 072 » Never trust your customers.
Rule 073 » If it gets you profit, sell your own mother.
Rule 075 » Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of Latinum.
Rule 076 » Every once in a while, declare peace. "It confuses the hell out of your enemies".
Rule 077 » It's better to swallow your pride than to lose your profit.
Rule 078 » When the going gets tough, the tough change the Rules.
Rule 079 » Beware of the Vulcan greed for knowledge.
Rule 082 » The flimsier the product, the higher the price.
Rule 084 » A friend is not a friend if he asks for a discount.
Rule 085 » Never let the competition know what you're thinking.
Rule 087 » A friend in need means three times the profit.
Rule 089 » Ask not what your profits can do for you, ask what you can do for your profits.
Rule 092 » There are many paths to profit.
Rule 093 » Act without delay! The sharp knife cuts quickly.
Rule 094 » Females and finances don't mix.
Rule 095 » Expand or die.
Rule 096 » For every Rule, there is an equal and opposite Rule, (except when there's not).
Rule 097 » Enough... is never enough.
Rule 098 » Every man has his price.
Rule 099 » Trust is the biggest liability of all.
Rule 100 » If they take your first offer, you either asked too little or offered too much.
Rule 101 » The only value of a collectible is what you can get somebody else to pay for it.
Rule 102 » Nature decays, but Latinum lasts forever.
Rule 103 » Sleep can interfere with...
Rule 104 » Faith moves mountains... (of inventory).
Rule 105 » Don't trust anyone who trusts you.
Rule 106 » There is no honor in poverty.
Rule 107 » A warranty is valid only if they can find you.
Rule 109 » Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
Rule 111 » Treat people in your debt like family, exploit them [ruthlessly].
Rule 112 » Never have sex with the boss' sister.
Rule 113 » Always have sex with the boss.
Rule 115 » The best contract always has a lot of fine print.
Rule 116 » There's always a catch.
Rule 117 » Everything is for sale, including friendship.
Rule 119 » Never judge a customer by the size of his wallet, (...sometimes, good things come in small packages).
Rule 121 » Everything is for sale, including friendship.
Rule 123 » Even a blind man can recognize the glow of Latinum.
Rule 125 » You can't make a deal if you're dead.
Rule 126 » Count it.
Rule 127 » Stay neutral in conflict so that you can sell supplies to both sides.
Rule 135 » Never trust a beneficiary.
Rule 139 » Wives serve, brothers inherit.
Rule 141 » Only fools pay retail.
Rule 142 » There's no such thing as an unfair advantage.
Rule 143 » Risk is part of the game... play it for all it's worth.
Rule 144 » There's nothing wrong with charity...as long as it winds up in your pocket.
Rule 146 » Necessity, n. The mother of invention. Profit is the father.
Rule 152 » A lie is a way to tell the truth to someone who doesn't know.
Rule 153 » Sell the sizzle, not the steak.
Rule 162 » Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit.
Rule 168 » Whisper your way to success.
Rule 169 » Competition and fair play are mutually exclusive.
Rule 171 » Blood is thicker than water, and Latinum is thicker than both.
Rule 172 » Chances aren't what they used to be.
Rule 177 » Know your enemies... but do business with them always.
Rule 181 » Not even dishonesty can tarnish the shine of profit.
Rule 188 » A fool and his money is the best customer.
Rule 189 » Let others keep their reputation. You keep their money.

Rule 190 » Hear all, trust nothing.

Rule 191 » A Ferengi waits to bid until his opponents have exhausted themselves.

Rule 192 » Never cheat a Klingon... unless you're sure you can get away with it.

Rule 194 » It's always good business to know about new customers before they walk in your door.

Rule 200 » If you're going to have to endure, make yourself comfortable.

Rule 202 » The justification of profit is profit.

Rule 203 » New customers are like razor-backed Gree worms... They can be succulent, but sometimes they bite back!

Rule 204 » It takes a Ferengi to cheat a Ferengi.

Rule 208 » Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer.

Rule 211 » Employees are the rungs on the ladder of success... don't hesitate to step on them.

Rule 214 » Never begin a business negotiation on an empty stomach.

Rule 216 » Never gamble with an empath.

Rule 217 » You can't free a fish from water.

Rule 218 » Always know what you're buying

Rule 219 » Possession is 11/10 of the law.

Rule 223 » Beware the man who doesn't make time for oo-mox.

Rule 229 » Latinum lasts longer than lust.

Rule 231 » There's a sucker born every minute; be sure you're the first to find each one.

Rule 236 » You can't buy fate.

Rule 239 » Never be afraid to mislabel a product.

Rule 241 » Never trust a hardworking employee.

Rule 242 » More is good... all is better.

Rule 253 » Synthehol is the lubricant of choice for a customer's stuck purse.

Rule 255 » A wife is a luxury... a smart accountant, a necessity.

Rule 256 » Accountants do not play the game; they only keep the score.

Rule 260 » Life's not fair. How else would you turn a profit?

Rule 261 » A wealthy man can afford anything except a conscience.

Rule 262 » A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Rule 263 » Never allow doubt to tarnish your lust for Latinum.

Rule 265 » The customer is always right, (...until you get their cash).

Rule 266 » When in doubt, lie.

Rule 267 » If you believe it, they believe it.

Rule 270 » In business deals, a disruptor can be almost as important as a calculator.

Rule 277 » Anything worth fighting for is worth hiding from.

Rule 284 » Deep down, everyone's a Ferengi.

Rule 285 » No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Rule 286 » When Morn leaves, it's all over. (Quark made this rule up)

Rule 299 » Whenever you exploit someone, it never hurts to thank them. That way, it's easier to exploit them the next time. (Neelix made this rule up)

The Unwritten Rule
»
When no appropriate Rule applies, make one up!

Mr. Blue
08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Cool Hand Luke...this is just one of my favorite scenes in any movie:

Luke: Anybody here? Hey, Old Man. You home tonight? Can You spare a minute. It's about time we had a little talk. I know I'm a pretty evil fellow... killed people in the war and got drunk... and chewed up municipal property and the like. I know I got no call to ask for much... but even so, You've got to admit You ain't dealt me no cards in a long time. It's beginning to look like You got things fixed so I can't never win out. Inside, outside, all of them... rules and regulations and bosses. You made me like I am. Now just where am I supposed to fit in? Old Man, I gotta tell You. I started out pretty strong and fast. But it's beginning to get to me. When does it end? What do You got in mind for me? What do I do now? Right. All right. [Gets on knees, closes eyes and begins to pray] On my knees, asking.
Luke: Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess I'm pretty tough to deal with, huh? A hard case.
Luke: Yeah. I guess I gotta find my own way.
Dragline: Luke?
Luke: [Shakes head and smiles] Is that Your answer, Old Man? I guess You're a hard case, too.

Luke: [Discussing God and the rain] Let him go. Bam, Bam.
Dragline: Knock it off, Luke. You can't talk about Him that way.
Luke: Are you still believin' in that big bearded Boss up there? You think he's watchin' us?
Dragline: Get in here. Ain't ya scared? Ain't ya scared of dyin'?
Luke: Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.
[He looks around]
Luke: I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself.

Just a great scene in the movie.

Virgule3
08-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Two of my favorite quotes/dialogue from movies:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Dave: "My god, it's full of stars!"

Contact

Young Ellie: Dad, do you think there's people on other planets?
Ted Arroway: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.

Evil Chris
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Glad I started this thread. :)
A hell of a lot of great posts coming out!