PDA

View Full Version : NHL hockey in Phoenix

Evil Chris
09-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Jeremy Roenick is wondering why hockey isn't being shown on television in Phoenix. It's a good question actually.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=175925&hubname=nhl

If the interest in pro hockey is at such low levels in Phoenix, they should pack up the team and move it where people will appreciate the game.

Winnipeg is dying to get their NHL franchise back. Quebec City would be another option.

RawAlex
09-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Chris, the problem is always potential market, and potential income.

Now with the salary cap and other equalization treatments, it is clear that an NHL team can survive pretty much in any Canadian city. The major shift in the exchange rate US to Canadian money also has changed many things.

I would love to see a team back in Winnipeg, and even in Quebec. I think the NHL has too many teams now in "not really hockey" places.

Evil Chris
09-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Agreed... and Ottawa is a good example of how a small city market can manage to keep and profit from an NHL franchise.

Here are NHL attendance stats. Very interesting stuff!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2006

Of the Canadian teams, Edmonton is lowest but after last year's run, that number will most certainly rise this year.

Chr1isme
09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm just glad that Hockey is back, I'm sure the NHL lost a lot of fan's in the US but that's what happends when a pro sport fails to deliver & missing an intire season did not help that at all. + with the new rules if you didnt follow hockey before then you really don't know whats going on. I think it's the combo of the 2 that is changing the sport of Hockey and the fans.

But they still have a fan in me!

Ronaldo
09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Winnipeg is dying to get their NHL franchise back. Quebec City would be another option.
Dude, don't get me started.

As much as I'd LOVE to see a team back in Winnipeg, the city just can't afford it long term. They DON'T have the support everyone claims they do.

Yeah, I was at playoff games with the "White Out" (which incidentally was started by Washington, NOT Winnipeg) and the atmosphere may have been unmatchable anywhere in the league. But I was also at games the first week of February during a cold snap with Hartford in town and only 7,000 people in the stands.

While I have little doubt that they'd have a great 2,3 even 4 seasons of great attendance, barring a Stanley Cup contender, the love affair would end and attendance would start to dwindle.

The Arena? Fuck me. The NDP government did everything in their power to STOP a new arena from being built when they were the opposition and a small window for the Jets staying remained. They succeeded. Then they got into power and helped build a new arena. An arena for a MINOR league team that, by attendance standards, is TOO SMALL for an NHL team anyways. Sure the luxury boxes are a bonus over the old arena, but with a maximum attendance of 15,500 or something like that, it's just too small for an NHL team nowadays. If it isn't now, in 10 years it would be. So if they were GONNA build an arena, why not throw an extra 1500 seats in there and look to a possible NHL return?

/end rant

Evil Chris
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I did not know that about the new arena in Winnipeg.
Seems pretty stupid that they would go ahead and build a brand new facility without looking ahead towards the possibility they might have another shot at an NHL team once again.