PDA

View Full Version : #1 on Yahoo but...

Evil Chris
09-21-2006, 07:37 AM
For a couple of search terms, I am doing quite well on Yahoo... I'm #1.

However, if you go to Google, and do the same search, I am nowhere near the top, not even on the first page. What's the deal with this?

My pages are indexed at Google, but just not showing up!

Stephane76
09-21-2006, 09:13 AM
what keywords?

Evil Chris
09-21-2006, 02:29 PM
well, what does that matter?

Panky
09-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Each search engine has it's own algorythm.

Evil Chris
09-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Each search engine has it's own algorythm. That much I understand, but it's crazy how I can be #1 at Yahoo and practically ignored on Google. :crazy1:

Gruntled
09-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Google indexes not only on the spidered content, but also looks at the uniqueness of the site's content from that of similar sites. That's why TGP's take a long time to optimize in google search.

While the Googlebot will pick up a new website quickly, usually only a business name will achieve high ranking quickly, not your main keywords. Often new websites listed in Google's search results will not achieve high rankings for many months, and for very competitive key words six months plus. In saying that Google loves unique content; so for websites that are not in such a competitive market and providing something new and different, top 10 rankings can be achieved within a month or two.

xxxmalouxxx
09-22-2006, 12:38 AM
whoo.. congrats mate... you'll make it to google soon!

MediaGuy
09-22-2006, 07:46 AM
How long has the site been up?

Have you used keyword tracker to see the occurence of your keywords on both google and yahoo?

Are you listed/indexed at MSN? The kingslut of indexation can be a barometer of Google's attitude towards you...

Are you using a meta-description and/or highly-placed body text, and which is showing on which engine?

Also - do you have a doctype for your page? And is it text driven, image-heavy (do you have alt text), a little of both?

Google hates repetitive keywording in a page...

Also - is it updated regularly? Static or dynamic? Is it listed on a relevant, content/text-heavy page? Where is it listed?

These are not the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Evil Chris
09-22-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.xnations.com/picdump/sabre.jpg
Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...

GoodChris
09-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Oh christ

baddog
09-29-2006, 06:24 PM
As stated above, different SE's have different algos. Yahoo and MSN are very easy to get ranked on, which is why many concentrate on them to promote their adsense sites on.

As far as getting ranked on Google, incoming, quality links and time served help a lot. Yahoo and MSN like activity.

geck0
09-29-2006, 08:49 PM
repeat what you did for the site that is #1 at yahoo for all your other sites or new ones that you make