PDA

View Full Version : GST Question.....

rhetorical
12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
There is a case in Alberta that has gone to court was won and then appealed by the GST people and overturned. It is currently going to Supreme Court. It fundamentally means that we (Canadians) should be charging GST on all products, even those sold outside Canada. I am in discussions with my accountant at the moment and he seems to feel that maybe it is time to start charging gst.
Anyone following the case or having GST issues at the moment?

http://www.gowlings.com/resources/enewsletters/taxationlaw/Htmfiles/V1N90_20061109.en.html (http://www.gowlings.com/resources/enewsletters/taxationlaw/Htmfiles/V1N90_20061109.en.html)

Evil Chris
12-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm not following the case at all, however I don't see how someone from Germany who is buying my product should have to pay taxes as if he were a resident of Canada.

Nobody would want to shop at my store.

rhetorical
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm not following the case at all, however I don't see how someone from Germany who is buying my product should have to pay taxes as if he were a resident of Canada.

Unfortunately the GST people seem to disagree with you. If you look at the judgement they won in court, their opinion carries more weight at the moment. What you or I think doesn't matter. This is a very important case. If you know anyone else in the same position, you should spread the word. I know there are some very big earners in Canada and this could cost them millions if the supreme court rules in favour of the gst people. I think this woman needs our support to fight this.

Evil Chris
12-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Who are these "GST people" anyway? Are they a conservative steering group of some kind? Who do they work for? Who pays their salaries?

Is this as simple a solution as kicking the Tories out of power?

rhetorical
12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_Canada
The GST centre is in Summerside PEI. They can make your life very miserable.

Ronaldo
12-07-2006, 06:07 PM

Build it in to the price, or the government will do it for you and YOU'LL have to pay the GST FOR your customers.

My understanding, is unless YOU can prove that people purchasing from you do not live in Canada, you are responsible for paying it, whether or not you collect it. IP addresses btw aren't considered proof.

Ronaldo
12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Is this as simple a solution as kicking the Tories out of power?
Uh no. The case I know about has been going on for YEARS. The GST division is brutal and unrelenting.

rhetorical
12-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Build it in to the price, or the government will do it for you and YOU'LL have to pay the GST FOR your customers.

My understanding, is unless YOU can prove that people purchasing from you do not live in Canada, you are responsible for paying it, whether or not you collect it. IP addresses btw aren't considered proof.
Its easy to prove the customers are outside of the country by their billing addresses. But the GST people are saying they don't care where the end user lives. It is not good.

pawsregd
12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I can see where the GST peeople are coming from although I don't agree with them. If someone from the US or Europe comes to Canada and purchases something then they have to pay the GST so why should they not have to pay it if it ordered online.

rhetorical
12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
because the transaction occurs outside the country.

Evil Chris
12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Obviously there is more to this than meets the eye, which is typical where tax law is concerned.

But no matter how tough you think the tax laws are in Canada, they're worse in the US.

rhetorical
12-08-2006, 12:37 AM
they are just getting hammered by vat in England at the moment. And that is 18 per cent.