PDA

View Full Version : Seminar topics...

Aly
01-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey guys! I'm often asked for my opinion/ input on seminars. Please chip in... What do you regard as required topics for industry seminars? What have we been missing? What "twist" would you put on things? What have you seen that worked well? Let me know!

Evil Chris
01-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Aly, good question.

I have spoken on several seminars. I always had the most fun on the "traffic" seminars. Talking about traffic generation, and qualifying traffic.

Lee
01-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Aly,

Perhaps a foreign marketing / traffic seminar where the people answering the questions:

1) Are not just trying to promote their services.

2) Actually KNOW what the hell they are talking about

3) Give a damn about the webmasters in the first place

Just a couple of thoughts.

I have to say though, i LOVED Scott and Your seminar at the show :)

Regards,

Lee

Aly
01-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Why, thank you, Lee!

Great points there... Thanks.

:)

Shann
01-27-2003, 10:02 PM
How about how to get more webmaster traffic? To join your affiliate programs? Aside from sexual favors that is......... a seminar on that and i might finally attend one, just b/c you were putting it on Aly! :)

Lee
01-27-2003, 10:08 PM
For more webmaster traffic thats simple :)

Email trafficdude@trafficdude.com he manages the advertising on a heap of resources for some of the MAJOR players in the adult industry.

Of course he also happens to sell for our resource network as well :)

See, just saved you 45 minutes of what could have been a very LONG and boring seminar with a few lines of quality advice :)

Regards,

Lee

Aly
01-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Lee
For more webmaster traffic thats simple :)

Email trafficdude@trafficdude.com he manages the advertising on a heap of resources for some of the MAJOR players in the adult industry.

Of course he also happens to sell for our resource network as well :)

See, just saved you 45 minutes of what could have been a very LONG and boring seminar with a few lines of quality advice :)

Regards,

Lee

HEY! Who you callin' long and boring! LOLOL

Right with you on Trafficdude. ...Wait, that sounds a bit naughty! Oh well, what the hell... Right with you on Trafficdude! - Great guy!

Lee
01-28-2003, 08:33 AM
LMAO Aly.

We all know your anything but LONG and boring, SHORT and boring maybe <giggles>

Cant wait to see you again hon but, when we meet next we have to spend MORE than a passing 5 minutes with each other lol

Regards,

Lee

Darin
01-28-2003, 11:10 AM
I never attend seminars, I always leave realizing I wasted my time there.

However, I love the good debate get togethers. Where you debate subjects like 'Quality of Traffic' which I think is total bullshit.

:D

JFK
01-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Cant tell you anything new, but just as my 2cents (canadian) I stopped attending them, after getting ripped of a couple of times by hungover guest speakers. After sharing a couple of inside jokes about the parties the nite before, they just said we are open to questions ? It was rather dissapointing after paying extra to attend. It must be drilled into the guest head, that they should have a written agenda to be followed and not to deviate from, and the moderators have to keep everyone on topic, and not let one speaker dominate.

Shann
01-28-2003, 11:23 AM
OK since you smarty pants burned me on my last one! lol How about practising safe sex in this industry hmmmmm? If held in Toronto I already got a speaker for you, how easy it is to catch STDs, etc etc.... seems to be a topic everyone knows about, but few talk about.... I think that would cause some debate as well. Any thoughts.....?

twinkley
01-28-2003, 04:24 PM
I would rather see more round table discussions than "seminars"

I cant tell you the number of people who have told me they dont go to seminars anymore cause it's always the same people on stage talking about the same stuff every time.

No offense to the speakers - I have been one myself on a couple of occasions - but wouldn't more, better information be given out by putting together round table discussions where newbies can sit down with leaders of the inddustry and actually talk about whats going on?

twinkley

Feynman
01-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Shann
OK since you smarty pants burned me on my last one! lol How about practising safe sex in this industry hmmmmm? If held in Toronto I already got a speaker for you, how easy it is to catch STDs, etc etc.... seems to be a topic everyone knows about, but few talk about.... I think that would cause some debate as well. Any thoughts.....?

Researchers ID Risk Factors for Heterosexual HIV Transmission
http://www.ucsf.edu/daybreak/1997/08/826_aids.htm

The researchers estimate the odds of a an HIV-postive male infecting a female partner in an unprotected sexual encounter is about 9 in 10,000.

[snip]

Females are about eight times more likely than males to become infected by their HIV-positive partners,

i.e. a man having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive female has about one 0.0001125 chance of catching it (roughly, 1 chance in 8889 sexual event). That is if there is abstinence from anal sex and that the female has no other STDs.

Maybe that'll calm Easton's anxieties.

A good source of information is http://www.libchrist.com/std/contents.html

It is from a group of called "Liberated Christians", promoting polyamory and sex. Their punch line is "Doesn't The Bible Teach That Sex Belongs Only In Monogamous Marriage? Take out your Bible and show us where!" They are promoting responsible non-monogamy within the Christian faith

Aly
01-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Hmmm.... Seems like a great argument for promoting lesbian sex if you ask me!

Everybody should have more lesbian sex! Especially Easton!

:D

barryf
01-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Since I'm not a newbie I'd like to see more "advanced" topics. For example:
- Merchant accounts: pros & cons vs. 3rd party billing
- Reducing chargebacks (i.e. fraud-scrubbing)
- Starting/promoting an affiliate program
- How to choose a hosting company (this could be at the newbie or advanced level)

A newbie topic (perfect for Ally):
- Webmaster networking 101 (i.e. how to get involved in the community) I wish there was a seminar like this when I started!

Also all the topics seem to be targeted at webmasters. Perhaps web designers or some other "speciality" could have their own seminars.

I don't know if these all apply to you Ally but it's just my 2 cents!

B

Aly
01-28-2003, 07:50 PM
That's EXACTLY the feedback I'm looking for!

Thanks so much, Barry!

Anyone else...? C'MON! Suck it to me! (I can take it...)

:cool:

twinkley
01-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Uhhh did someone say lesbian sex?? :)

:blush:

twinkley

Aly
01-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by twinkley

twinkley

::-|

They DID?!

NO!

NEVER!!

NOT HERE!!!

:eek:

barryf
01-29-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Aly-Python
That's EXACTLY the feedback I'm looking for!

Thanks so much, Barry!

Anyone else...? C'MON! Suck it to me! (I can take it...)

No problem! I'm full of useful tidb... um, er......... sorry I was distracted by the lesbian sex.

B

Feynman
01-29-2003, 11:53 AM

twinkley

Yes they did. Lesbian sex but with guys.

twinkley
01-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Lesbian sex with guys??? How does that work?

twinkley

JFK
01-29-2003, 12:50 PM

twinkley

Use stand in Stunt Cocks, instead of Dildoes !! I promise not to enjoy it ! Any Voulunteers?:bonk:

Aly
01-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by JFK
Use stand in Stunt Cocks, instead of Dildoes !! I promise not to enjoy it ! Any Voulunteers?:bonk:

Gosh, darling... That is so very nice, and generous, and selfless of you! ...How 'bout it Twinkley? It could spice up our sex life a bit...

barryf
01-29-2003, 12:56 PM

twinkley

I am a lesbian trapped in a man's body. ;)

B

LAJ
01-29-2003, 06:15 PM
How about a seminar on the importance, and what it's like to publish a regular newsletter to webmasters and what it takes to accomplish this task from start to finish. :)

twinkley
01-30-2003, 09:41 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

You shaved your head?!?!?!

twinkley

LAJ
01-30-2003, 10:41 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... uhhh... yeah!

twinkley
01-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Oh man....

What is this world coming too?

Don't you guys know hair is cute?!?!

MEN!

hehehehe

twinkley

Okay, you gotta show some better pictures :)

Shann
02-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Feynman
Researchers ID Risk Factors for Heterosexual HIV Transmission
http://www.ucsf.edu/daybreak/1997/08/826_aids.htm

The researchers estimate the odds of a an HIV-postive male infecting a female partner in an unprotected sexual encounter is about 9 in 10,000.

[snip]

Females are about eight times more likely than males to become infected by their HIV-positive partners,

i.e. a man having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive female has about one 0.0001125 chance of catching it (roughly, 1 chance in 8889 sexual event). That is if there is abstinence from anal sex and that the female has no other STDs.

Maybe that'll calm Easton's anxieties.

A good source of information is http://www.libchrist.com/std/contents.html

It is from a group of called "Liberated Christians", promoting polyamory and sex. Their punch line is "Doesn't The Bible Teach That Sex Belongs Only In Monogamous Marriage? Take out your Bible and show us where!" They are promoting responsible non-monogamy within the Christian faith

LOL you're so not helping my cause!

PrincessX
02-06-2003, 06:49 PM
For first-timers or expo-newbies, a seminar on how to network, set goals, accomplish those goals, work the expo, etc. would be nice.

As I realize one of the main reasons that speakers are "speaking" is to promote their programs, you could do something different that the usual traffic generation talks by informing your new webmasters on how to work the expo floors and parties to make the good contacts that will make them more efficient in promoting your affiliate programs... in other words, empower them to walk up to someone working a hosting booth and strike up a conversation whereby they might end up cutting a deal for better hosting (whether it be a lower cost or better bandwidth) or to meet someone who runs a tgp or resource site and discuss any type of trade they could do... anything to get the new expo attendees to feel like they have an action plan (of course, it could be an action plan that ultimately helps them promote your program).

Also, a seminar along those lines can appeal to people in the industry who do not derive the majority of their income by promoting affiliate programs... such as designers, content/product providers, etc.

Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say I'd like to see something that doesn't just directly target affiliate programs and/or newbies :xthumbs:

Hope this made sense... vodka is taking over...:D

Later!

PrincessX

Masters
02-08-2003, 02:41 PM
I would rather see more round table discussions than "seminars"

I cant tell you the number of people who have told me they dont go to seminars anymore cause it's always the same people on stage talking about the same stuff every time.

No offense to the speakers - I have been one myself on a couple of occasions - but wouldn't more, better information be given out by putting together round table discussions where newbies can sit down with leaders of the inddustry and actually talk about whats going on?

twinkley

I believe that Twinkley, the little cutie that she is, has a very good twist on the "New Age of Seminars"

Several round table discussions, consolidated to mimimum attendees per round table, would, IMHO, be a huge hit.

Now about what topics...
PrincessX:
"For first-timers or expo-newbies, a seminar on how to network, set goals, accomplish those goals, work the expo, etc. would be nice. "

Has a very good point... We need to educate the newbies more and perhaps on a more personal level. More educated Webmasters, more traffic generation, more innovations!

Though I've been around since 1996 I have always kept some what of a low profile even when working for the larger companies. Kept within certian circles yet always willing to help when asked upon...

Would I like to be a part of a round table monitor, speaker, eduator, or whatever you want to call it...? Yes, this obviously falls in with what PrincessX suggested... Spreading the knowledge and help those whom truly have a passion for what they do and belive in ... I would greatly enjoy participating in.

Great thread topic Aly, which include some solid posts... Kudos to all

Keep on Rockin'

-=HUNGRYMAN=-
02-09-2003, 05:43 AM
Aly hunnee ...

could you please drop me a line on Monday at some point ?

Re : Toronto Webmaster Summit
www.webmastersummit.com

Thanks DAH-ling !! :D