PDA

View Full Version : What happend to soul music?

Evil Chris
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
I grew up on the Niagara Peninsula listening to the music the adults around me were playing, and much of it was soul music.

The Delfonics, Al Green, The Chi-Lites, The Spinners, Curtis Mayfield, The Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, The O'Jays... etc etc..

This kind of music just isn't made anymore. It seems that soulful R&B has been replaced almost completely by rap. :geez:

Magnus3x
01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
The classics will always remain but the new R&B is more over sung ballad than funky smooth.

TheLegacy
01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
its sitting in a coffin somewhere in the usa waiting for the godfather of soul's family to work through the will

Visualad
01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
I would take your title on this thread and take it one step further and ask:

WHAT HAPPENED TO MUSIC WITH SOUL??

So much shit is produced.. Doesnt sound like anyone makes music with their hearts anymore. I just turn most of the shit off when I hear it. Radio sucks, MTV and most of the other music channels suck..

As for soul music Chris - you need to think about how older records where made.. Alot of it is live orchestra and musicians, jamming live, playing together, bouncing off eachother, etc.. Theres a special sound you hear in older records.. that "electricity"..

Nowadays, you have "hot shot" producers doing everything themselves - sitting in multi million dollar studios, making music sound ULTRA CLEAN, but without that live feel and without that special sound.

I actually opened similar threads on other web forums focused on music.. And I basically hear the same thing.. its all how music was made in the past.
Music is simply not produced in the same way anymore.

I watched a documentary recently on a musician that spent 6 months out of each year, travelling to diffirent countries and spending time with alot of "older" musicians. All to learn how things were produced in the past, so he can carry that "tradition" on to the future and learn how to create "that sound".. Really smart guy to do that..

Because as it is now.. If no one learns from the past and carries some of that on to the future..

Well.. everything will sound.. shitty. ;-)

Funbrunette
01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
I grew up on the Niagara Peninsula listening to the music the adults around me were playing, and much of it was soul music.

The Delfonics, Al Green, The Chi-Lites, The Spinners, Curtis Mayfield, The Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, The O'Jays... etc etc..

This kind of music just isn't made anymore. It seems that soulful R&B has been replaced almost completely by rap. :geez:

How old are you? :laughout:

glad2beme
02-01-2007, 04:03 AM
they killed it!

Sarah_MaxCash
02-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I love stuff like Sam Cooke and Philly soul but it is hard to get decent good soul today.

Evil Chris
02-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Does anyone else kinda "collect" soul tunes in their MP3 folder?
I have a lot of them... and still looking for a few.

Simon IA Cash
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
I think there's much more of a tolerance for music that's largely dictated (and written) by everyone but the performer. Producers search for vocal range talent, looking for a particular sound. Soul is driven by the performers, and now people have a pretty good idea what they want out of a performer before even hearing them. People like Simon Cowell reinforce today's current musical priorities, and soul gets lost in the shuffle.

lulu
02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
hold up, its your montreal soul sister here. i agree with you chris. but, have you checked out any of the following: check out jill scott, johnny legend, erykah badu, joss stone, ben harper (is all soul - though ecclectic) and more but i have to think about it. erykha's been around for a while but i was listening, rather singing at the top of lungs to her cd the other day, she's good.

Cyndalie
02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Hmm...

It's not under here

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/images/underrock.gif