PDA

View Full Version : Resisting Change

Cyndalie
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Which do you prefer? Dollar bill or Dollar coin?

They are going to be giving the dollar coin another shot, It's failed twice in the past. I don't see why they are bothering, coins should be phased out they are so archaic and annoying to carry around. They are heavy, bulky, noisy, ... I don't think this run for the $1.00 is going to be any different than before.

Where does your change typically end up?
The bottom of the washing machine? Somewhere in your car? Piggy bank, jar, or dish? Somewhere in the couch? Mysteriously disappears? Hell I use my a card to buy shit just to avoid the whole mess all together.

No one likes change, you might say people resist change. I think this flip of a coin is going to flop.

TheLegacy
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
as you know canada has a coin for one and two dollars and it hasnt hurt us any. saves money since we don't have to create new ones so often because coins last longer... then again.. the CIA or homeland (one of them) thought that we were hiding tracking devices in our coins to follow your scientists around.. geez

Cyndalie
02-12-2007, 10:04 AM
LOL something like that

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20070111/160_ap_coin_070111.jpg

Goddamn Loonies, you guys will make a coin for any amount

http://www.24carat.co.uk/images/1993canadaplatinum300dollarsarcticfox1ouncerev240. jpg

Panky
02-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Americans will learn to adapt. I actually prefer coins. It took me a bit after moving here to get used to the Loonies and Toonies, but coins are just so much better. It's rather annoying now going back to the states and using American money. It all looks the same, plus the $1 bills add up quick and most of them are in pretty sad shape.

Relentless
02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
The US should steal the idea that the Chinese have been using for their coins over the last thousand years or so. Punch a hole in the middle of each of them!

That way you can string many coins together and carry them without the jingling. It would also lead to a new fashion accessory because people would all be out buying fancy Coach strings for their change.

Cyndalie
02-12-2007, 10:36 AM
The US should steal the idea that the Chinese have been using for their coins over the last thousand years or so. Punch a hole in the middle of each of them!

That way you can string many coins together and carry them without the jingling. It would also lead to a new fashion accessory because people would all be out buying fancy Coach strings for their change.

LOL, they punched holes in the center to save money on materials

Magnus3x
02-12-2007, 10:59 AM
When I was a bartender this was my god send. No one wanted that many coins in their pocket.. so they were throwing the twoons and loons like pennies.. I loved it.. tips jumped at least 40%.

I tend to throw the excess in a jar or something and take em in yearly for my Golf and drinking money out on the links.

student4ever
02-12-2007, 11:01 AM
LOL, they punched holes in the center to save money on materials
the way out govt is spending $$, we likely need to do the same thing... :laughout:

I think the reason for the previous failures were simple poor planning. The Susan B looked way too much like a quarter so you had to have decent eye sight and be paying attention to not make a major error. Even store cashiers had problems getting them right.

The Sacagawea was too cool, it was a collectors item from the start. I'm sure the mint intended it to be that way.

If it's going to succeed, then it has to be something distinctive from other coins to have any shot and it can't be tried for a year and than given up on.

beckie
02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I absolutely hate change. It only ends up in the bottom of my purse and when I need to use it, I have to dig way deep.

When I feel like cleaning out my purse, it ends up in one of those empty water jugs.