PDA

View Full Version : Today's music... it kinda sucks

Evil Chris
02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I think this is a boring period for modern music.

Pop music and it's so called artists are fairly pathetic. Hip Hop is basically a wash out. The same old shit over and over. I've been laughing at the rappers for the past couple of years. Nothing new or interesting at all.

Rock has been uninteresting as well. When I take a look at the "top 9 at 9" votes from my local alternative/rock station and see bands like My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Muse, and Evanescence making the list... I know there must not be a whole lot to choose from.

It kinda feels like the mid-80s again where pop and new wave were just topping out, and it gave the perfect situation for alternative grunge to go mainstream and spawn countless bands for more than a decade. Similar to the pre-punk movement as well.

So what does this mean? What will be the next big sound? Will the 70s rock sound make a comeback or will it be something else? Whatever it is, I say bring it on because my radio dial can't find anything good these days.

TheLegacy
02-22-2007, 11:54 AM
after listening to American idol the past few days I realize just how much I miss the 60's and 70's music. you remember radio Colorado - was a great station to play all the old tunes that meant something. problem is getting my work done since each song always brought back a special memory.

Magnus3x
02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
It's the Tweens and Teens and their buying habits that tell marketers and the entertainment industry what to promote. Idol is the prime example.. sure they can sing.. but the washed out same sounding shite that turn into Platinum albums after the winner is crowned is a joke. Also Paris Hilton her so called album and sinlge made the bloody billboard charts!!

Look at the movies and what makes the most at the box office anything that cater to that tween teen market will be #1, sure they will never win an Oscar but the $$$ they make is better than Oscars.

Simon IA Cash
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah, pop is crap. For the most part, they don't come up with their own lyrics or music, which, to me, totally damages any trace of soul. Although in an age where the US president doesn't come up with his own words for speeches, I'm not surprised. Art isn't as rewarded as it used to be. It's appreciated, but not as rewarded, because most people will keep buying crap.

Regarding the future, I think electronic has some original and clever new music coming out these days. In some cases, electronic elements are fusing in a natural and hybrid way with some rock, and there's some promise in that. Unfortunately, don't expect to hear any on the radio. I'm still a trip hop fan, and that's relatively newish.

LAJ
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Gotta say I disagree. While there is plenty of shit out there and trends are disturbing... that could be said of any era.

I'm listening to the Fratellis and also Muse right now... 2 CDs that came out last year and there are fucking awesome.

glad2beme
02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
well, i think rock and alternative is doing good ...

Cold_ice
02-26-2007, 10:47 PM
well, i think rock and alternative is doing good ...
I agree. I think the day that one starts thinking the present day music suxs is the day we need to realize that we may be getting old and out of touch. I think we are suppose to think our kids music suxs, its the way of the world. Every era has artist that suxed its just that we just remember the great ones.
Fred

lulu
02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
i don't know. i just love music. i go through phases of the genre i listen to. i do find i have to dig a little more to get the stuff i like. there's some mainstream stuff i like i.e. K-Os. and lots that i don't. i do find that i listen to several of my compilation cd's.

what i'm having a harder time with, is the lack of good live gigs to see.

TheLegacy
02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
well then, lets do a little survey - what songs of the latest generation do you think will be classic hits that will be remembered 50 or 100 years down the road fondly? beatles, stones, elton john, lennon to name a few will always have their tunes played and remembered. You think stairway to heaven, pink floyd or eagles - are there any bands today that can even come close to have legendary songs that will stand the test of time? Hell even the Spice Girls that took over the world aren't even remembered or played on the radio.

dyonisus
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree ad disagree that music sucks right now.

My parents and older relatives hated my choice of music when I was growing up, it was too loud, to guitar based, screaming etc, and yet all that music contributed to the growth of the industry and the development oof todays music. Sometimes the bottom does drop out, we go through boy band phases, metal, hip hop, funk dance etc, some trends I have really dug others WOW, is that really music, well it is creative expression so I guess it must be... I personally dont have to like it all...

soon to be legends, or songs that will be remembered... hmmm, well I know the Chili Peppers have made a classic lasting impression, Chris Cornell both as a collaborator and solo artist, Incubus... but it is really hard to say..

Bands I do like today include the Killers, Panic at the Disco, incubus, RHCP, Swollen Members, My Chermical Romance, Stone Sour, Queens of the Stoneage...

lulu
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
i agree with a lot of what dyonisus is saying, Red Hot Chili Peppers for sure.
U2 will have and already has classics.

that's a good question Rob. i think we're going to see house tracks, and hip hop songs become classics. i know many don't like this stuff but like in all genres, there is talent. i.e. house - Danny Tenaglia, Paul Oakenfold ... hip hop, r&b: wyclef jean, the fugees, missy elliott, tribe called quest(old school)... you just have to ignore the jennifer lopez, sienna, the 50 cents, etc... that's crap imho.