PDA

View Full Version : 32 students killed in Virginia shooting!

Funbrunette
04-16-2007, 05:23 PM
At least 30 people are dead in what may be the biggest mass shooting in American history — and the death toll may rise.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

My heart really goes out the families envolved in this tragedy. School is suppose to be a safe place to send your children, well not anymore it seems!

Evil Chris
04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm deeply saddened by this news, and my heart goes out to all the victims and their families.
I do have my personal opinions on guns, but I think I'll just hold for now.

This is so tragic.

Way3
04-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Incredibly tragic day at VA Tech! My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of all those innocent victims!

TheLegacy
04-16-2007, 09:13 PM
saddens me that someone actually considered this an option. How a trigger can change the lives of so many americans, the ripple effect will carry on for years to come.

gabrio
04-17-2007, 04:16 AM
thats really insane!!

Sarah_MaxCash
04-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Sad and I hate that now we will just wait for the next one.

Evil Chris
04-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Sad and I hate that now we will just wait for the next one.Sarah that's a sad truth indeed.
Unfortunately this kind of thing doesn't spur on any kind of gun control or reform in the USA.

TheLegacy
04-17-2007, 09:22 AM
my hope is that we don't become desensitized to this, thinking of overseas where this murder/suicide happens more frequently and for different reasons - we have to guard our heart so that we don't stop feeling anymore.

Evil Chris
04-17-2007, 09:33 AM
murder/suicide happens more frequently where?

StaceyJo
04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
oh my god thats really terrible... so so sad...

Platinum Chris
04-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Truly sickening, and I'm not talking about the shooting, but the media coverage.

Such a tragedy should not be glorified by non-stop coverage of speculations, talk show bookings, etc.

I feel truly sorry for the students and all involved in the incident. Many that survived may never recover to be the person they were beforehand.

Funbrunette
04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
murder/suicide happens more frequently where?

USA :scram: I hate to say it, but it's true...

Panky
04-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Truly sickening, and I'm not talking about the shooting, but the media coverage.

Such a tragedy should not be glorified by non-stop coverage of speculations, talk show bookings, etc.

I feel truly sorry for the students and all involved in the incident. Many that survived may never recover to be the person they were beforehand.
I'm not a huge fan of all the media coverage either. It would be a wonderful thing if some day something positive would receive more media coverage than something negative.

gecko
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
How this could happen and then Bush comes out and says "but but but we all still should have guns mmm kay!!!" The guy is a freaking drongo.

RIP to all those innocently massacred yet again.

Cyndalie
04-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Domestic terrorism....and alberto gonzales gets a few more days to dodge bullets in the form of question marks.

TheLegacy
04-18-2007, 12:22 PM
How this could happen and then Bush comes out and says "but but but we all still should have guns mmm kay!!!" The guy is a freaking drongo.

RIP to all those innocently massacred yet again.

okay, I didn't want to say this but here it goes.

1st = its not the governments fault nor bush's that some idiot grabbed 2 guns and started shooting. even if you had a total an complete ban on guns he still would have found a way to kill. its the price of freedom, that you can't control one crazy SOB

2nd = anyone see the recent news? at least 164 were killed in Baghdad, thats almost 5 times as many as this shooting. including women and children.. all innocent. it is and still is a terrible tragedy, but you don't see CNN or anyone doing an hour long news report, or stopping American idol to give their solace.

3rd = having gun legislation is NOT going to solve the problem, nor increased security at schools so that they turn into an airport. You simply have to become more aware and make sure that freedoms are not trampled on. The ONLY way to stop this from happening again is to turn America into a police state, and even then - you can't watch everyone now can you? It's going to happen. simple as that. All you can do is take as much precaution as allowed by law and in this case, follow up on leads given if there is someone suspicious. I don't see you flipping out on the police who were notified by the teacher that this boy who shot everyone had some serious mental shit going on and she called them up giving them a warning, but no one did anything? was bush to blame for that? was gun legislation lax that day when he bought the guns?

Stephane76
04-18-2007, 02:02 PM
just thought i d share that link, http://news.aol.com/virginia-tech-shootings/cho-seung-hui/_a/richard-mcbeef/20070417135909990001

They should do a complete ban on guns, 32 000 people die a year cause of that ...

TheLegacy
04-18-2007, 06:03 PM
just thought i d share that link, http://news.aol.com/virginia-tech-shootings/cho-seung-hui/_a/richard-mcbeef/20070417135909990001

They should do a complete ban on guns, 32 000 people die a year cause of that ...

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99845.htm

41,611 people killed in auto accidents per year roughly - lets ban cars
20,000 people die from the flu - lets ban social activities

okay, look - I am not a gun owner - but blaming guns or bush etc. is not going to stop violence or slow it down. as said, if someone wants to kill 33 people they will find a way to do it without a gun. building a bomb is actually easier to make, just find me an air condition with freon in it and I will make a nerve gas bomb that will kill more than 33.

the problem was with this guy, not that he had access to a gun.

Panky
04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Exactly. Guns and the US gun laws are not the problem. People are the problem. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. This person had the intent to kill and he was going to use any means necessary to complete his mission.

Sarah_MaxCash
04-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Sarah that's a sad truth indeed.
Unfortunately this kind of thing doesn't spur on any kind of gun control or reform in the USA.

It is a debate I hate having so I tend to stay out of it. It is just so hard to have because it really is just a major difference in cultures. Canada and the UK are a lot of like when it comes to guns and I know exactly where you are coming from in things I have read. It is just a vast difference in culture.

Evil Chris
04-19-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen99/gen99845.htm

41,611 people killed in auto accidents per year roughly - lets ban cars
20,000 people die from the flu - lets ban social activities

okay, look - I am not a gun owner - but blaming guns or bush etc. is not going to stop violence or slow it down. as said, if someone wants to kill 33 people they will find a way to do it without a gun. building a bomb is actually easier to make, just find me an air condition with freon in it and I will make a nerve gas bomb that will kill more than 33.

the problem was with this guy, not that he had access to a gun.

I think most people know that I am anti-firearm. I generally don't think that ordinary citizens should own them without exceptional reasons. I DO NOT agree with the 2nd Amendment "the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

What this has done over the evolution of the United States is create a "gun society" where "the people" feel it is their right and sometimes they actually think it is their duty to own and carry a firearm. This is social conditioning that I do not buy into. Since I am not American, I don't have to buy into it and I can look at the situation from the outside.

Humorous as it may be, this little video holds a lot of truth.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NPBHtjZmSpw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NPBHtjZmSpw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

So where BLAME is concerned, the blame goes to the social conditioning of a nation of people whose 2nd Amendment says they should carry weapons to protect them from anything that frightens them.

TheLegacy
04-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I think most people know that I am anti-firearm. I generally don't think that ordinary citizens should own them without exceptional reasons. I DO NOT agree with the 2nd Amendment "the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

What this has done over the evolution of the United States is create a "gun society" where "the people" feel it is their right and sometimes they actually think it is their duty to own and carry a firearm. This is social conditioning that I do not buy into. Since I am not American, I don't have to buy into it and I can look at the situation from the outside.

So where BLAME is concerned, the blame goes to the social conditioning of a nation of people whose 2nd Amendment says they should carry weapons to protect them from anything that frightens them.

I am a peaceful man myself - I guess what upsets me is that people are quick to point fingers at a hot topic such as gun control, when if you look at this kids recent life and statements - if it wasn't guns, he was hell bent on using something to kill people.

Just look at him - can you honestly say that if he didn't have access to guns that he would say to himself, "well maybe I won't kill these people". I am not a gun owner, nor ever care to be - but this guy was whacked out of his mind. Whether it was a gun or kitchen fork, he would have done it anyways - all I am saying is let's not jump so fast to the conclusion of banning guns unless your ready to ban everything that people can use to kill others.

Platinum Chris
04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
People always call for stricter gun control when events like this happen. The problem is, too many love their guns.

So lets not go for stricter gun control. Lets take a page out of Chris Rock's book and institute Bullet control. It gives gun lovers they're beloved extended penis' to love, cuddle, caress, stroke, pose with, etc, while at the same time, not allowing them to afford bullets to use the gun.

Evil Chris
04-19-2007, 10:43 AM
I am a peaceful man myself - I guess what upsets me is that people are quick to point fingers at a hot topic such as gun control, when if you look at this kids recent life and statements - if it wasn't guns, he was hell bent on using something to kill people.

Just look at him - can you honestly say that if he didn't have access to guns that he would say to himself, "well maybe I won't kill these people". I am not a gun owner, nor ever care to be - but this guy was whacked out of his mind. Whether it was a gun or kitchen fork, he would have done it anyways - all I am saying is let's not jump so fast to the conclusion of banning guns unless your ready to ban everything that people can use to kill others.Robert.... someone whacked out of their mind and angry at the world living in a country that loves firearms and has a government that supports the gun lobby.... is not a good situation.

Sarah_MaxCash
04-19-2007, 11:54 AM
If he had been to mental health counseling shouldn't that been recorded somewhere to prevent him being able to just pass a background check?

TheLegacy
04-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Robert.... someone whacked out of their mind and angry at the world living in a country that loves firearms and has a government that supports the gun lobby.... is not a good situation.

couldn't agree with you more my dear friend - but I am only asking, do you think removing guns from a country will stop nuts like this from wanting to kill someone?

Funbrunette
04-19-2007, 12:35 PM
couldn't agree with you more my dear friend - but I am only asking, do you think removing guns from a country will stop nuts like this from wanting to kill someone?

It may not stop them, but it sure does limit the incidents. Don't get me wrong it's not like nothing ever happens here in Canada, but with less access to gun it does make it difficult. If you look at the stats guns have a big part in deaths in the USA.

Evil Chris
04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know about removing them. I doubt that is the way to go.
It's the mentality of the 2nd Amendment, and the continued support of the gun lobby that is at the root of this problem.

TheLegacy
04-19-2007, 01:47 PM
be interesting to see WHO is using the guns now.

jackbdirty
04-21-2007, 04:53 AM
All I can say is... there seems to be too many warning signs about this dude. This is one of the reasons I tell my kids to never pick on a kid at school no matter what. You never know what they will do to people or the condition their mind is in. Sad situation.. really sad.

Jack