PDA

View Full Version : Hacked or Not?

Gentz43
05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
What are some of the signs that you might have been or are being hacked?

student4ever
05-15-2007, 05:20 PM
there can be a wide range of 'symptoms' ranging from the obvious like your content has totally changed to the not so obvious like your pages now contain scripts that you didn't put in the pages.

A few years back, my host got hacked and a PHP script was run on many of the directories of a shared server. It went looking for sites with PHP scripts and inserted their script at the top of the page. Totally broke one of my sites, so it was easy to spot and alert the host.

Sometimes it's as simple as a new htaccess being put in a site that redirects traffic someplace else. Basically, there are 1,001+ hacks out there, so there are not really any standard 'signs'.

What makes you suspect a hack/hijack?

oops, just realized I assumed server side hack/hijack - you could have been talking about browser...

Gentz43
05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
The internet server is claiming i have downloaded over my limit and i know i haven't so i was wondering if maybe someone else was downloading instead of me and by hacking into my system..Has anyone ever heard of that happening?

student4ever
05-16-2007, 07:20 PM
meaning your web hosting is showing you over your limit? You should be able to go back to your sites logs to validate how much traffic has been used and in what way.

I have heard about sites getting hacked and being setup as FTP sites for nefarious purposes. Since many people don't look at their FTP bandwidth stats, it does not get caught as easily.

StaceyJo
05-17-2007, 08:34 AM
when i cant get into my passwords or my personal websites seems to be different...