PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day weekend plans?

Cyndalie
05-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Trying to figure out what we should do this weekend. All I can think of so far has to do with exploring Philadelphia, the great city I recently moved so close to. Lots of history there, I think it may be a good theme for this weekend...

Some options...

King Tut Exhibit - The Franklin Institute

Independence Hall and Tour of Historical Landmarks in Philly including National Constitution Center, Liberty Bell Center, Independence Hall. Walking & trolley tours.

Philadelphia Museum of Art
Special Pieces – Sunflowers by Van Gogh, 2 Dali’s, Picasso’s Three Musicians etc

Philadelphia Zoo - Americas First Zoo

Jam on the River presented by Captain Morgan with Cypress Hill, the Wailers, and more http://www.electricfactory.com/jam_on_the_river.htm at Penns Landing

I also want to see Pirates of the Carribbean this weekend which opens today.

I'm also going lawnmower shopping and doing some house work. Saturday I have some work to do but other than that, I'm looking forward to the long weekend.

What will you be up to?

TheLegacy
05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
honestly, I didnt realize it was a holiday since Im in canada - but follow us holidays closely. is this an actual holiday where banks and business's are closed? if so I may take monday and get the pool open and do some house work.. damn.. feels nice saying that doesnt it?

Platinum Chris
05-24-2007, 10:40 AM
I'll be at work :(

Evil Chris
05-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Actually, this year the Memorial Day weekend is only for Americans.

Most of the time, the Canadian May 24th (Queen Victoria's Birthday) weekend and Memorial Day weekend fall on the same long weekend but not this year. Last weekend was extended for us north of the border. We spent it in Mt Tremblant (http://www.tremblant.ca/) and had an excellent time.

Janell
05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
I will be in the pool and grilling!

Evil Chris
05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
The plan this weekend is gardening. Front garden and the flower boxes on the back deck.
I've already done the lawn repairs in the front.

Cyndalie
05-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I bought a new lawn mower yesterday!
I can't wait to fire that baby up!

student4ever
05-25-2007, 08:18 PM
for me, I'll be trying to get past this damned sinus infection! LOL and catching up on a lot of programming...

Hey Cynd - don't remember if I've told you about this before... In Philly, one of the true treats that I found when I visited a few years ago is in the Potter Publishing building (least I think it was the Potter building...). It's very close to Liberty Bell and Reading Market - walking distance. Anyway, the thing to see is the Tiffany mural in the lobby. It's the largest mural of it's kind in the US or possibly the world. Real Tiffany glass. If you go at sunset, the light coming into the lobby creates a glow against the mural that is simply amazing.

I ended up going there every evening the week I was there, just to experience the sunsets...