PDA

View Full Version : I've quit smoking and drinking.

Cyndalie
05-29-2007, 02:13 PM
That's it. I'm done.
Cold Turkey. No turning back.
Good bye old friends.
Now hopefully I'll have more money to save up for a rainy day.

Evil Chris
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Good luck to you Cyn.
Kicking the smokes was a tough one for me. I still feel tempted from time to time.

Cyndalie
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Good luck to you Cyn.
Kicking the smokes was a tough one for me. I still feel tempted from time to time.

mind over matter right.

i figure the last time I quit it was hardest when I was drinking.
so if I knock that out of the equation as well
might be easier.

my spouse, is another story. but he's going to cut back as much as he can and keep it out of my face as much as possible and i think that's great, maybe I can inspire him but I can't force him

Platinum Chris
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Rock on Cyn! You can do it.

Feel free to yell at me on ICQ if you need to get some withdrawal 'RAGE' out :D

McKidd
05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Best of luck to you Cyndalie!
you're taking a big step in the dierction of 20 more years of life.

Way3
05-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Stay focused! You're doing the right thing! Best of Luck! :)

Panky
05-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Good luck Cyn!

http://www.icando4u.com/smile/smiley_thumbsup.gif

student4ever
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
good job Cynd!

remember, the physical addiction to cigs is actually over in like 72 hours - after that, it's all mental.

Janell
05-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I hear its hard to quit smoking. I've smoked plenty in my day but I just don't find it very appealing. I hear for many it's a social event I personally would rather do other social activities.

SykkBoy
05-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Good luck
It's not easy, but you can do it

I've been smoke-free for 17 years, drug-free for almost 19 years and have had maybe a total of 4 drinks in the past year...

TheEnforcer
05-29-2007, 05:09 PM
That's it. I'm done.
Cold Turkey. No turning back.
Good bye old friends.
Now hopefully I'll have more money to save up for a rainy day.

If I was your boyfriend right now I'd take an extended vacation as soon as the grumpiness sets in... :scram:

Congrats and good luck with it though. :>)

Evgenika
05-30-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm going too :)

Sarah_MaxCash
05-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Good luck...the first few weeks is always the hardest on lifestyle changes.

Funbrunette
05-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Congrats! I'm sure it'll be hard at first, you're a tough cookie and once you mae up your mind...That's it! Good luck Cyn and keep us posted! :)

TheLegacy
05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
WTF - how can I take advantage of you NOW???!!!!

back to the ol' drawing board

Cyndalie
05-30-2007, 10:21 AM
LOL, thanks everyone :)

If the worst is I gain a few lbs that's not so bad, I need to anyway!

Munching on an apple and drinking OJ now, i'm tired but I'm thinking clearly

lulu
05-30-2007, 10:58 AM
you can do it girl! i've quit smoking several times. once for 5 yrs. lol i smoke about 3 or 4 smokes a week now and i'm losing the cravings.

Virgule3
05-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Good for you Cyn!

I'm just a social smoker and a social drinker and I like it! lol

Sophie.

Mish
05-30-2007, 12:47 PM
mind over matter right.
my spouse, is another story. but he's going to cut back as much as he can and keep it out of my face as much as possible and i think that's great, maybe I can inspire him but I can't force him

We're in the same boat Cyn. We were GOING to quit together... I had my last cigarette Christmas day - just got past 5 months now that I think about it.:thanks:

He's still smoking, but I can't force him to quit, and can't stand him in the crankypants mode. :laughout:

Best of luck!

Cyndalie
05-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Today is tough!!! I just need a reason to get away from my desk for 5 minutes!

She Devil
05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Don't worry about stop smoking forever, that's way too stressful. Just don't smoke today. Take it day by day. My mom has smoked since she was 12, and has had many issues quitting because they stable her. Since about 4 years I have been bugging her to quit, and now I realise that they actual do help her if she can't take the pressure by herself.

FYI tobacco actually does help some people with stress because it makes vessels in the brain thinner which limits everything. This keeps too many thoughts from going through the brain at one time so you deal with one at a time. This helps prevent her from having mental breakdowns.

Don't worry about 'cheating' either. If you really really need one then try having one puff and it might be all you need. If you are thinking you are depriving yourself of something most of the time you want it more. It's more important for you and hubby if you are calm then if you had a puff.

As far as drinking, I dunno... drink gingerale or water or something. I do that when I reach my limit.

To get away from your desk... You got a water cooler in the office? You can make sure it's far enough away that you have to get up and get a drink... it's a good reason to get up. That's what I do. Not sure if it will help or not.

And if you ever need something to distract your lips or hands gimme a call ;)

Relentless
05-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Pick a new vice quickly. You'll need to replace the old ones.

Videogames comes to mind...

Evil Chris
05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
it's day 3.... how's it going?

Cyndalie
05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
it's good. I've decided to allow myself some steps down and have no more than 3 max per day with a set goal to quit all by June 3rd. I read that it puts less strain on the heart than going cold turkey and other complications I can't discuss here, but it's helping me be able to put off even having one until VERY late in the evening, and the final tempation is being around it (my hub) makes it hardest to resist. Once I get over that hump of not having even one a day, I'll be there. but I have to work with my body and myself. If I expect too much that's all the more stress and pressure and I know i'm moving in the right direction. Others may disagree but still 1-3 vs 25 per day is a big leap. I think if I can get through the weekend I'll be at 0 by next monday :) The drinking is tough too cause that was habitual to have 1-3 drinks a night after dinner before bed, I guess the relaxing aspect is mind over matter as now I've been drinking "Arnold Palmers" - a mix of lemonade and iced tea - and pretend it's a long island LOL :) mind over matter.

So it's not 'cold turkey' but it's best step i've taken in awhile and i'm working towards the great goal.

Evil Chris
05-31-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't disagree with you.
To be able to completely quit, you have to do it on your own terms and figure it out in your head your way.

Gruntled
05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
You can do it, Cyn!

Rochard
06-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Don't drink don't smoke what do you do?

I smoke and I've used to it. I've quit a few times.

And this might surprise people but I don't drink. I only drink at shows or other industry related events. I have booze in my house, but only stuf left over from parties I've had here. I have beer but it's not cold; I do have a bottle of Jager in the freezer "just in case".

My biggest addiction is red bull. It's starting to get expensive.

Evil Chris
06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
I am over the whole Red Bull and vodka thing. Used to do that before it was "in".
I usually have one beer each day around suppertime, maybe two if I'm out on the deck in BBQ mode. But I rarely drink to the point of intoxication. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have gotten drunk in the past 3 or 4 years. It's very rare.

scottb
06-03-2007, 04:05 PM
set goal to quit all by June 3rd

Today is the day. I hope you make it.

Here is a little motivation - I quit smoking Dec. 11th, 2006 - the day I had congestive heart failure and almost did not survive.

Cyndalie
06-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Today is the day. I hope you make it.

Here is a little motivation - I quit smoking Dec. 11th, 2006 - the day I had congestive heart failure and almost did not survive.

There's a good reason if I've ever heard one. Glad you made it through scott.

So far so good. Yesterday I did really really good so today I dont think will be much of a sweat.

I found a new favoite drink to replace alcohol when I get the urge to drink. It's called izze. http://www.izze.com/ Yummy!

Strickie
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Good luck to you Cyndalie! I'm going to try to quit myself.