PDA

View Full Version : Leafs sign Sundin to another year

Evil Chris
06-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Great move.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210584
This happend a few days ago, but I thought I would post it.

Sundin is the heart of the team and letting him go would have been a big mistake. Letting him go would mean a complete rebuild from the ground floor up. Now all we need are a couple of power forwards that can score 30+ goals in a year and we have a contending team.

TheLegacy
06-15-2007, 05:47 PM
chris you know I have loved the leafs for years - but honestly - something has to be done to change their path.

Platinum Chris
06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
5.5Mill?

Leafs not winning it this year.

Casa Nova
06-18-2007, 01:04 PM
What the leafs really need is somebody that can feed him the puck and do some good stuff himself! Kind of like Mogilny, mogilny and sundin were great together!

By all means, that isn't the only thing they need. Hopefully they can step up this offseason and do soem things that will change our fortunes.

Platinum Chris
06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
What the Leafs need, is more quick forwards that can score. They've locked mega-money into Defense, with Kubina and McKabe locked until 2011 and Kaberle to 2010.

The salary cap is expected to go up. Many are hoping into the $47-50 mil range.

As it stands right now, with the signing of Sundin - Toronto's salary is at a whopping $39,212,900.00. And they still have 7 RFA's to decide on. When all is said and done, they will have practically ZERO room for any improvment on their roster.

TheLegacy
06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
what leafs need is to trade the entire fucking team with the Ducks - at least we would have a playoff shot

Evil Chris
06-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Are you members of the cult or not? hahaha...
Oh ye of little faith.

I know... it's hard to keep cheering sometimes. It's part of being a Leaf fan.

Platinum Chris
06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Make no mistake Evil one, I will always cheer for the Leafs... but I'm a realist.

Sundin does not guarentee the Leafs the cup. This has been proven since he's been here. For many years, the Leafs D has been atrocious. Cujo could have had a cup in TO if he had better D.

Now, we have good D, but very little O. The faith in some of these useless european guys they have is recockulous. Ponashitovsky and Andopetov are two of the worst forwards we've had in a long time. They take the most retarded penalties in the game to date, and produce very little. The $$ could be used for much faster, and better talent.

Evil Chris
06-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I agree with you about Antropov, but not Poni.

Casa Nova
06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
I agree with you about Antropov, but not Poni.

I concur!

Evil Chris
06-19-2007, 09:15 AM
We'll see of course. I'm not expecting the Leafs to have a 100+ points season and burn their way through 16 games in the spring. As a Leaf fan, I am much more realistic than that. ;)

I enjoy cheering for them and watching them play. In this day and age of the NHL, any team can put a winner together. The playing field is a lot more level than 20 or 30 years ago for sure.

Mister E
06-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Attention Maple Leaf Fans: how would you buy a winner?

Let's face it: the Teachers' Pension Fund has enough cash to, um...buy adverstising on X Nations. If price were no object and you were the G.M. ( I am SO an optomist), what 3 changes would you make to the squad?

Evil Chris
06-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Attention Maple Leaf Fans: how would you buy a winner?

Let's face it: the Teachers' Pension Fund has enough cash to, um...buy adverstising on X Nations. If price were no object and you were the G.M. ( I am SO an optomist), what 3 changes would you make to the squad?I would firstly trade McCabe away while he is still worth something and get back an equally good defenseman, but one that doesn't give the puck up so often.

I'd add some power to the forward lines in the form of a 30+ goal scorer (or a couple guys like that).

Casa Nova
06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
I would firstly trade McCabe away while he is still worth something and get back an equally good defenseman, but one that doesn't give the puck up so often.

I'd add some power to the forward lines in the form of a 30+ goal scorer (or a couple guys like that).

I dont think McCabe is even tradable.. his salary is just to high. Look at the ducks pronger isnt even making what mcCabe is...

There is tons of local boys that would love to coem to the team, so I have no f'n Idea how JFJ can't manage to bring some good canadian boys over.

But for sure they need someone to play along side sundin and feed him the puck or put the puck in the net when the opportunity is there. ALso you know what... sign Yashin to a 1 year deal.. just test him out see how he plays with sundin, something may work out. I wouldnt sign him for over 1 mill a year though.

Evil Chris
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, whatever they do, the one thing I have noticed over the past while is that team chemistry wins championships. You don't necessarily have to have all the best players on your team to win it all. Just so long as they work very well together and the chemistry is there.

Casa Nova
06-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Yeh Chemistry is always number 1!
The players have to get along & work well together just like any office environment.

I think people were to fast to jump on Raycroft and blame him, but you gotta think this was his first full season back in the league and hes still young, goalies relatively mature at a later age. This year I think he will perform even better then last, and the goalie situation will be no problem. OurD is good, maybe add a a big guy or something. Its all about getting someone for Sundin & maybe 1 or 2 more fast wingers.

We have some decent young guys in Stajan, Steen, & Wellwood Aslong as they keep up there hardwork they will coem back even stronger next year aswell. i think we have a good shot next year at playoffs with all our young guys getting more experience and knowing what it takes.

Platinum Chris
06-20-2007, 03:17 PM
McCabe is untradeable, but he is also a good fan and player asset. Many rally behind him, and he does have a good shot from the point. They just need to use that more to their advantage, even when he's being covered by opening up players in close.

The Leafs need a few good fast forwards and I think they'll have a better year. Raycroft, for the first time in a long while, is a good young goalie. He's someone that has shown good potential, and it just needs to be tapped into properly. The Leafs can build with him, and do not have to worry about him having the old person aches and pains.