PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite home remedies?

Cyndalie
06-26-2007, 11:33 AM
When I was little my pediatrician gave my mom a home remedy to help with bad cough and cold symptoms. It was a little bit of warm tea, honey, lemon, and whiskey. I'd drink a cup full and go right to sleep, without the coughing waking me up. Looking back, no wonder why. :)

My other favorite is having an Aloe plant around, which is great for sunburns, skin irritations including bug bites and poison ivy, an antibiotic for cuts and scrapes, and even can be used as a hair gel.

Any home remedies you grew up with that you brought into adulthood?

student4ever
06-26-2007, 01:02 PM
nothing that I grew up with other than my Mom is a vitamin C super freak - we're talking thousands of mg per day. Anytime somebody catches a cold, her first question is... have you been taking your vitamin C? LOL

We keep an Aloe plant around too. The kids know to just go break off a small piece when they need it.

Recently, I've started to drink Wild Cherry Bark tea. Supposedly, it is an anti-inflammatory that helps with breathing issues. I have minor asthma, so I'm giving it a shot for a couple months to see if it gets me off the meds. I've talked with people who say it has helped them. :)

Evil Chris
06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't think I have any. Maybe the obvious ones like a hot toddy for a sore throat of chicken soup for a cold.

12clicks
06-27-2007, 09:31 PM
wine is a cure-all in my house.

Rochard
06-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Lemon Juice.....

Once I got really sick - deathly sick - with what seemed like the flu. I was on vacation and staying with a friend, and she pulled out some lemonds, squeezed them into a cup, and popped it into the microwave for a spell.

The next morning I woke up in puddle of sweat but felt fully recovered.

Works every time.

XXXPhoto
06-29-2007, 02:10 AM
wine is a cure-all in my house.

Was that Thunderbird for aches and Night Train for rashes or vice versa?

gabrio
06-29-2007, 04:01 AM
When I was little my pediatrician gave my mom a home remedy to help with bad cough and cold symptoms. It was a little bit of warm tea, honey, lemon, and whiskey. I'd drink a cup full and go right to sleep, without the coughing waking me up. Looking back, no wonder why. :)

My other favorite is having an Aloe plant around, which is great for sunburns, skin irritations including bug bites and poison ivy, an antibiotic for cuts and scrapes, and even can be used as a hair gel.

Any home remedies you grew up with that you brought into adulthood?

funny you mentioned alone... ive tested a liquid Aloe based product from Herbalife like 2 weeks ago and i got a BIG ALLERGY on my hand, full of red dots and it was itching like crazy... today, after like 14 days, the red dots went away but it still itches a little.... i will never try aloe again, and the funny thing is that they should NOT give you skin irritations of any sort!

TheLegacy
06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
right now in my house - zinc cream for diaper rashes

SykkBoy
06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I keep an aloe plant around as well

for a stomach ache, a shot of blackberry brandy

Panky
07-01-2007, 01:46 PM
My mom, grandparents, and my great aunts always had an Aloe Vera plant in their house. Growing up, my mom always had a plant or two in the house and she also grew one in one of her flower beds. My brother and I were always outside playing in the woods, fields, creeks, riding bike, or playing some sport. We had our share of cuts, bruises, bug bites, bee stings, poison ivy, and all that.

Sage works well to relieve the pain from mouth ulcers. It also helps to heal them quicker. Sage also works to help relieve the pain from mouth sores from braces, retainers, partials, and dentures.

Applying Orthodontic wax, (dental wax), or regular candle wax on a broken tooth will keep your tongue or cheeks from getting sore, plus it protects the tooth. The wax also works on rough edges on braces, retainers, or partials with wire clasps.

Colloidal silver. Silver is a natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver can be injested or applied directly to the skin. If you have a cut or a minor burn you can apply colloidal silver. The silver kills the harmful bacteria that causes infection.

Peppermint helps to ease belly aches. If you have a chest cold, bronchitis, pneumonia, or asthma, putting peppermint oil on your chest and/or in a vaporizer will help you to breathe a little easier.

Mud helps relieve the pain and swelling from bee stings. Flour also gets rid of the pain and swelling from a wasp sting.

An oatmeal paste works great for poison ivy, chicken pocks, and poison oak. Tea tree oil works too. It relieves the itching and helps heal the skin.

Oil of Clove or even a clove works well to relieve toothaches and teething pain.

Panky
07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Forgot to mention... Steam from a hot shower can help kids who have croup. If you can keep the child calm, breathing in the steam helps to open their airways a bit. My brother had croup a lot when he was a kid. Most of the time it worked well for him, but sometimes, he was freaking too much because he couldn't breathe properly. The more excited a child becomes, the harder it is for them to breathe.

SleazyBear
07-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Being diabetic I find that cinnamon lowers my sugar levels, but sugar free red bull lowers it too, I liked the energy drink cocaine had cinnamon in it. But its hard to get since the fda decided they didnt like the name. I have a few cases in the garage, but there going down fast..

Cyndalie
07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Epsom salt is a good cureall too. Gargling with epsom salt can help cure canker sores. Soaking in epsom salt can help remove splinters, and great for sprains and swelling. Don't drink it though, it's also a laxitive.

sassygirl
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
tea with a lemon on it...i remembered my mum used to make me one of those whenever i have a fever or feel sick. Always works on me ;)