PDA

View Full Version : Off-season Leaf news

Platinum Chris
07-04-2007, 04:03 PM
What? Does Fergy have a love obsession with players last names starting with B?

So Jason Blake, a one-time 40-goal scorer for $4mill a season. Some consider it cheap, but really, it just may be overpaid. Face the facts, before last season, he's never mustered more than 28G's a season. However, he is a gritty player, hasn't been plagued with injuries, and I think he may do quite well on the 1st or 2nd line. $4mil a year well spent? We'll have to wait and see whether he can come close to last years performance

Battaglia on the other hand, was a relatively cheap pickup for 2 more years. He had a decent season last year, but he's not a top goal scorer in the least. With the addition of Blake, it appears the Leafs really want some extra backup for Tucker. I mean, can his face take anymore cuts before its just one big scar with eyes?

Toskala signed an extension, so they locked him in for an additional 2 years. At this point, Toskala's contract extends beyond Raycrofts. I'm guessing the Leafs are banking their hopes on Justin Pogge or J.S. Augin to be ready to bounce up to the bigs by then and offloading or dropping Raycroft outright at the end of the 08/09 season.

In reality, I wished they would have saved the $ on the Toskula deal and landed a Kariya or Gomez; or just offloaded Raycroft. I still believe Raycroft is a great goalie, especially with the $2mil pricetag. He's got youth on his side, and doesn't seem to get too rattled on goals. Toskala's only been a #2 goalie most of his career. It'll be interesting to see if he can handle the extended front line duty.

Either way, this goalie battle will be good and bad. The good, will be expecting the top performance of both as they battle for #1. The bad, someone is gonna get benched, and its not easy if you were #1 to sit out most of the season.

TheLegacy
07-04-2007, 04:21 PM
....... and still we wont make the final play-off spot

Evil Chris
07-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I like all the changes. I thought Toronto had a good team last year, so this only adds to what was already there. Just hope that the key players stay healthy. No injuries!!!

The goaltending will be great with those two sharing the duties. I doubt it will be a heated competition for the #1 spot. They will share.

Plus, I am looking forward to seeing Peca back on the wing too.

Casa Nova
07-05-2007, 02:32 AM
They signed peca again? I dont think they did chris. He was a FA.

Platinum Chris
07-05-2007, 10:19 AM
They signed peca again? I dont think they did chris. He was a FA.

He's not signed by anyone. Peca is still a UFA. Not sure if he's completely healed from his broken leg or not. Either way, he'd have to sign again for a $1mil deal with the Leafs since they only have about that much of space left in the cap, and normally that is the buffer teams leave themselves for injuries.

I doubt Peca will be back in TO.

Casa Nova
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
He's not signed by anyone. Peca is still a UFA. Not sure if he's completely healed from his broken leg or not. Either way, he'd have to sign again for a $1mil deal with the Leafs since they only have about that much of space left in the cap, and normally that is the buffer teams leave themselves for injuries.

I doubt Peca will be back in TO.

I agree, I highly doubt he'll be coming back to T.O he's to much of an injury risk with two bad knees. He's wiling to take a home town discount again apparently but I doubt the leafs will even want him at that.

The leafs are shopping Raycroft & Kubina apparently on the trade market, So we will see what happens in the next few days.

Evil Chris
07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm confident they'll sign Mike Peca.
Not for a lot of money, but he's staying in Toronto. (I hope)

Platinum Chris
07-05-2007, 03:28 PM
They definitely have to move Raycroft. There's no point paying Toskala 4 mil/season Ray 2mil/season. The decision on #1 has been made in the extension signing.

There's a few teams out there that will easily pick up Ray's salary. Should be an all around easy trade for the Leafs.

Casa Nova
07-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Yep apparently The Wings are interested in Raycroft aswell as Pheonix, so we'll see what transpires.

Evil Chris
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
This is a most interesting off season. :)

(ps, I edited the thread title)

swoop
07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
am i crazy in thinking the Rangers spent WAY too much in free agency? don't they have a lot of guys of their own that are free agents?

Evil Chris
07-05-2007, 05:35 PM
From just looking at all the free agent signings coupled with current lineups, I am seeing Pittsburgh and Anaheim to be looking very good.

Casa Nova
07-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeh Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Rangers & philli have made big changes this off-season & will be tops in there Divisions

swoop
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
it sucked not being in the playoffs this past year, i'm hoping the Flyers can make a nice run next spring