07-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I found for 8$
Disk Space: 360GB
Bandwidth: 3600 GB

:/ Something must be wrong...

Edit: http://www.servage.net/?a=g-ca-adult

Kacy
07-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Nothing is wrong, that is common in virtual hosting these days. More commonly seen in non-adult providers, however servage does allow adult sites. Only thing you have to be carefeul of getting the account shut down for using too many resources. (High CPU usage) They have a pretty tight policy on that.

We have a similar plan, but ours is a little more believable, hehe
$10.95/mo for 100GB space and 1000GB bandwidth. Something we guarantee we can provide :)

Brad Mitchell
07-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

Chris - please do me the favor of changing my handle to 'Brad Mitchell' when you get a chance :)

Kacy is right on and she would represent one of the few hosting companies I would recommend in our space for virtual hosting. I think the driving factor here in choosing a virtual host is understanding their commitment to doing a good job and being able to balance that with where they sit in our community.

I can't speak to Servage all too specifically, except to say that I presume they do a rediculously high volume of virtual hosting. Whether or not they are any good at it, I can't attest to that. I can say with certainty the math on 3600 gigs is rediculous, it looks something like this:

Hosts buy bandwidth on 95th percentile from bandwidth providers. So, any plan sold on gigs always translates back to what that usage would look like on 95th percentile because that is the hosts cost for bandwidth. In our adult space 1 megabit translates (on average) to 225-275 gigs of usage over the course of a month. This is based on the daily peaks and valleys of traffic. So, 3600/225= 16 megabit. If a host's cost for raw bandwidth (not including network admins, hardware, cross connects) costs $8-$20/megabit across various providers you can see they would have a base cost of $128-$320 for this plan if a customer was to ue all of the bandwidth. This doesn't factor in rackspace, support technicians, power, network overhead, etc.

I think this makes it fairly obvious that one could not reasonably expect to get this type of throughput out of this type of virtual hosting platform. The price is predicated completely on oversubscription without the intention of delivering - it's not even reasonable to think that it's a "loss leader".

So, buyer beware! That's my opinion.

Cheers,

Brad

Evil Chris
07-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Great information from two of the best in the hosting business.

And I host with both of them! :xthumbs: