PDA

View Full Version : American Psycho..I'm confused! (spoilers if you haven't seen this movie)

Funbrunette
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Ok so I've watched American Psycho during my morning jog (on my treadmil obviously) I hadn't seen it in a long time, but I'm still VERY confused with the ending of this movie.

Can anyone shed some light on a few questions I have... :confused:

1. Did he actually commit all these murders?
2. Is he Patrick Bateman or does he "think" he is?

Here is my conclusion, give me your thoughts:

A "Psycho" is someone not in touch with reality. However, is not a threat.
A "Psychopath" is someone that acts out on his "psycho" tendencies and beliefs.

Patrick Bateman is living in his imagination. The notebook is where he lives his fantasies, not in the real world. The 1980's was a greedy decade where no one gave a shit about anything but themselves and greed. Therefore, Bateman is allowed to slide down further and further into his psychosis, because no one cares about him or anybody else. This sets up the potential for Bateman to actually act out his psycho tendencies later. At the end of the movie, he is coming into the realization that he might be to far gone, or that he can be saved

Am I way off here?

Anyway I've decided to pick up a copy of the book writen by Bret Easton Ellis. I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie!

TheLegacy
08-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Well I saw the movie - my guess was that the ending - he imagined himself getting away with everything when in fact he didn't. He did do those crimes, but many times those who are guilty refuse to admit it or admit that they can get caught of they feel they are above the law.

Even when captured, they sense it is still part of their plan

Terrence
08-14-2007, 01:03 PM
How weird I saw it 2 weeks ago and yes it was strange at the end
I would be with you Miss Funbrunette it would seem that part of the murders were a fragment of his imagination but my girlfriend does think like TheLegacy it is not a very obvious way to end such a movie

Terrence

zand_stein
08-15-2007, 06:39 AM
How weird I saw it 2 weeks ago and yes it was strange at the end
I would be with you Miss Funbrunette it would seem that part of the murders were a fragment of his imagination but my girlfriend does think like TheLegacy it is not a very obvious way to end such a movie

Terrence
Yah I notice that also............
:scram:

ScreaM
08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Yah I notice that also............
:scram:
You sure are an interesting person.

Funbrunette
08-15-2007, 05:16 PM
You sure are an interesting person.

With lot's of substance! :)

Quagmire
08-16-2007, 03:59 PM
With lot's of substance! :)

With some pretty impressive substance out front. ;)

MediaGuy
08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Nah, he didn't do it, he just fantasized about it ... his imaginings were so gratifying to his superficial, meaningless business-card-machismo reality that they overtook his sense of reality, so much so that after fantasizing he kllied people who were significant to him (as opposed to some meatmarket pick-up) that his guilt made him want to turn himself into police, even if it was for things he didn't do, confessions to crimes he didn't commit.

Aren't my two cents pennies from heaven?

Vid Vicious
08-20-2007, 05:25 PM
i thought he did do them ...

On a side note ... I never trusted anyone that "got" phil colin's "stu studio"

cdsmith
08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Well I saw the movie - my guess was that the ending - he imagined himself getting away with everything when in fact he didn't. He did do those crimes, but many times those who are guilty refuse to admit it or admit that they can get caught of they feel they are above the law.

Even when captured, they sense it is still part of their plan

That's pretty much the way I saw it.