PDA

View Full Version : Most pathetic named storm ever

Cyndalie
09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
They must be really running out of names for hurricanes and tropical storms... HUMBERTO?
I mean come on! Is that even really a name?
What kind of pussy ass name for a storm is that? :arrr:

terraangel
09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
ha ha HUMBERTO

back in 1995 http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/1995humberto.html

Panky
09-13-2007, 05:13 PM
When you look Humberto up on a baby names site, it means "bright". How do they choose the names anyway? I know it is alphabetical and alternates between boy/girl, but out of all names to choose, this name sounds more like a description for a star than a storm.

Casa Nova
09-13-2007, 09:29 PM
haha sounds like the bus boy at a bar lol

MediaGuy
09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Googling for my edification, posting for yours:

"Hurricanes names are chosen from a list selected by the World Meteorological Organization. The Atlantic is assigned six lists of names, with one list used each year. Every sixth year, the first list begins again. Each name on the list starts with a different letter, for example, the name of the very first hurricane of the season starts with the letter A, the next starts with the letter B, and so on. The letters "Q", "U", "X", "Y" and "Z", however, are not used."

It was a kids site so I won't post the link here...

Here's more about why and how the names were/are chosen:

"No one is exactly sure when hurricanes were first started to be
named. Weather history seems to point to only the biggest
hurricanes being named. It is felt by scientists that the first
person to ever name a hurricane was probably an Australian
scientist named Clement Wragge.

"Scientists feel that Clement had a very interesting way of
choosing his names. It seems that Clement Wragge named
stronger hurricanes after his friends and the weaker hurricanes
after his enemies."

That's from http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art32359.asp and about all I could read since I'm not being paid for this ;)

LAJ
09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Whats wrong with the name Humberto? I think it's pretty fuckin cool actually LOL...

cdsmith
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
The first time I went to Mexico the guy who was the tourist rep in our hotel was named Humberto. He was a pretty cool guy.

I don't know if I'd go naming hurricanes after him, but he was okay in my book.

daveydude
09-17-2007, 02:59 PM
As Henry Rollins says, badass hurricanes need better names such as "The Motherfucker", or "The First Four Black Sabbath Albums". It would make TV weather reports carry a lot more weight don't you think?

Evil Chris
09-17-2007, 03:06 PM
As Henry Rollins says, badass hurricanes need better names such as "The Motherfucker", or "The First Four Black Sabbath Albums". It would make TV weather reports carry a lot more weight don't you think?hahaha.... I love that. I agree. Henry Rollins should be the one to name all the hurricanes from now on. :laughout:

tomuchcash
09-18-2007, 01:11 AM
They must be really running out of names for hurricanes and tropical storms... HUMBERTO?
I mean come on! Is that even really a name?
What kind of pussy ass name for a storm is that? :arrr:

wtf??!?!! lmao :laughout::laughout:
Humberto hahahaha

Dare69
09-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Oh fuck...itīs so horrible!!!

peterk
09-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Come on honey Humberto is comming :))

Sarah_MaxCash
09-24-2007, 07:52 AM
The pool boy of all storms.

sassygirl
09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
lol...Humberto...sounds like Spanish

Janell
09-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Whats wrong with the name Humberto? I think it's pretty fuckin cool actually LOL...

It's my great grandfathers name. It's old country Dutch style.