PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my ICQ?

Evil Chris
09-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I am using 2003a Pro.

Feels like I am driving a Pinto when I could be driving a Caddie.
Thoughts?

Panky
09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Sorry. Can't help you on this one. I'm on Linux and I use Pidgin. It's like Trillian, (in the respect that it can run multiple IM clients), and can be used on Windows and Linux systems.

I'm always of the mindset that if the current version being used works and there's no security issues, then I leave it be. Too many times I've upgraded programs just because the new features were cool or bought into the hype and it caused problems.

Dare69
09-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Hey Chris.... fuck ICQ. Itīs horrible soft. Take look for www.qip.ru. This is so cool with many resources.... check it ;-)

bird
09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
ICQ 6 is horrible

Vid Vicious
09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I upgraded at home an regret it everyday .. it's slow, it actually locks up everytime you get a message the options are crappy .. mmm Leets see .. nope not one single good word to say about the new version. Not a one!

How I miss 2003beta

Mister E
09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Sorry. Can't help you on this one. I'm on Linux and I use Pidgin. It's like Trillian, (in the respect that it can run multiple IM clients), and can be used on Windows and Linux systems.

I'm always of the mindset that if the current version being used works and there's no security issues, then I leave it be. Too many times I've upgraded programs just because the new features were cool or bought into the hype and it caused problems.

Hey Panky,

I am using Linux as well @ home and WILL NEVER revert to Microsoft or Apple!

My version of Vector Linux has a GAIM client and it still has the AOL stench about it.

What so you recommend? The ICQ works fine but there are too many features and I cannot find a way to integrate my history.

Good to hear you use Linux. I never cared before but after a month am a convert.

And remember...Free software=free thinking!

SO Evil C, Linux is something to consider!

No licences, no BS, no pain.

It's the only thing in my biosphere that lets me feel like one of those now hipper than a rockstar nerds!
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

Panky
09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I use Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn). Linux is my main OS. I hate using Windows. I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Open Office on a daily basis, all of which run on Linux. For all the video tools I used in Windows, I found in Linux, so no, I'm not going back to Windows.

For my IM clients, I use Pidgin. It works with AIM, ICQ, IRC, Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, and whole slew of other clients.

http://www.pidgin.im/

Relentless
09-27-2007, 04:13 PM
www.ceruleanstudios.com

Get Trillian

sassygirl
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I stopped using ICQ after they launched the 5.1

Visualad
09-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I like the latest version. Its the most stable of them all and I love the way things work. Less windows, more compact, etc.

However, ICQ behaves in diffirent ways on diffirent computers - thats why there are so many that hates it aswell as loving it. I think you can have parallell installations. So you dont have install the new over the old. I have both installed. Also... If you dont like it.. Simply download the old ICQ and install it again.

SFS
09-27-2007, 11:08 PM
www.ceruleanstudios.com (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com)

Get Trillian

Agreed.. I use the Pro version and it rocks. Handles all my IM needs for ICQ, AIM, MSN and Yahoo

Stephane76
09-28-2007, 12:13 AM
I am using 2003a Pro.

Feels like I am driving a Pinto when I could be driving a Caddie.
Thoughts?

Dont !
The version 6 sucks ass big time, i am using trillian on my laptop and i am loving it, my icq at the office is maxed out as far as contacts goes and it bugs all the time...

Platinum Chris
09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Funbrunette
09-28-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm enjoying the new version of ICQ it's been good to me so far! Give it a shot hun!

Stephane76
09-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Just downloaded trillian at work! I LOVE IT!

you get icq, yahoo, msn and aol on one spot!

Evil E
10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I usually use GAIM as well, on linux.