PDA

View Full Version : Canadians: are you affected by the US currency drop

Evil E
11-06-2007, 03:07 PM
If so, did you find any work around / solution?

Fluid
11-06-2007, 03:49 PM
nope..I'm enjoying the 25% pay cut myself ;)

Jimmidean
11-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Raising prices as we speak.
I dont intend to continue taking this hit.

Evil Chris
11-06-2007, 07:13 PM
it's been tough watching that exchange rate the past 3 years.

rhetorical
11-06-2007, 07:16 PM
nope..I'm enjoying the 25% pay cut myself ;)

I think you will find its more than 25 per cent....depending how long you have been in business. We are an export and it hurts.

Funbrunette
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
ABSOLUTELY it's been horrible! :geez: Especially we you get paid in US

Fluid
11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I think you will find its more than 25 per cent....depending how long you have been in business. We are an export and it hurts.

it is...I was using the sarcasm in a generalization to hide my pain

GOD
11-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Historically speaking, the Canadian/US dollar rates do this every approximately 20 years ...

But then after the American dollar recovers, it soars to as high as 63% higher than its Canadian counterpart (remember 2003?) ...

That being said, if I were mortal, and living in Canada - hypothetically speaking of course - I would probably be placing a sizable portion of my monthly income into a high-yield AMERICAN savings account (ING's rates are currently at 3.75%), so that when the Benjamin does recover, I not only will have cashed in on getting more American dollars for my Canadian dollars (right now), but will also cash in again by waiting until the American dollar is in a positive position to the Canadian dollar to convert it back.

Depending on how long I wanted to hold off, I could (hypothetically) make upwards of 150-170% return on my money, in probably under 5 years time.

Find me a GIC or a registered savings bond that will do that?!?

Rochard
11-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Historically speaking, the Canadian/US dollar rates do this every approximately 20 years ...

But then after the American dollar recovers, it soars to as high as 63% higher than its Canadian counterpart (remember 2003?) ...

That being said, if I were mortal, and living in Canada - hypothetically speaking of course - I would probably be placing a sizable portion of my monthly income into a high-yield AMERICAN savings account (ING's rates are currently at 3.75%), so that when the Benjamin does recover, I not only will have cashed in on getting more American dollars for my Canadian dollars (right now), but will also cash in again by waiting until the American dollar is in a positive position to the Canadian dollar to convert it back.

Depending on how long I wanted to hold off, I could (hypothetically) make upwards of 150-170% return on my money, in probably under 5 years time.

Find me GIC or a registered savings bond that will do that?!?

Damn.....

Taht's impressive really.

Evil E
11-07-2007, 12:35 AM
GOD: the problem with this is, not everyone has the cash flow to do that.. the small fishes are hurt while the whales have options.

rhetorical
11-07-2007, 12:50 AM

Find me a GIC or a registered savings bond that will do that?!?
Works if you earn Canadian dollars. I haven't earned a Canadian dollar in about 8 years, though.

GOD
11-07-2007, 03:55 AM
Works if you earn Canadian dollars. I haven't earned a Canadian dollar in about 8 years, though.

So you drop what you can spare USD into a high-yield savings account (such as ING American ISA) and wait for the Benji to pick up steam again ...

You'll still make a minimum 130% ROI in under 5 years ...

We're not talking chump change -- for something almost as sure as death and taxes ...