PDA

View Full Version : Not Getting Paid

jjacksonesq
11-14-2007, 02:54 PM
I spoke with a person who I meet from another board. He advised me that a large publishing company was running a contest where the winning models and her photographer were not getting paid their winnings. I do not want to state the name of the company but I want to know how common is this? Has anyone out there heard of something like this happening? He and others are considering legal action. I said I would look into it for him and I wanted to get a sense of what others might know about this.

Evil Chris
11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
How much money are we talking about here John?

jjacksonesq
11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Individually the amounts are rather small. $500-$2,500.00. However, the person I spoke with thinks that there would be a number of models and photographers affected maybe 50-60. $25,000.00 on the low end and maybe $85,000.00 on the highend.

Evil Chris
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
The only comparable thing I have seen is a few years ago someone won a pair of tickets to the Superbowl, and the person who said they were giving them away ended up NOT giving them away.

However, peer pressure in the webmaster community prevailed, and the winner of the tickets got $1500 instead. Better than nothing, that was the settlement.

rhetorical
11-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I spoke with a person who I meet from another board. He advised me that a large publishing company was running a contest where the winning models and her photographer were not getting paid their winnings. I do not want to state the name of the company but I want to know how common is this? Has anyone out there heard of something like this happening? He and others are considering legal action. I said I would look into it for him and I wanted to get a sense of what others might know about this.

If you are going to post a thread like this, name the company. Or are you not sure if they are actually wrong? Seems clear to me that if you believe that the "contestants" were wrong, then you would spill the beans or never start the thread.

jjacksonesq
11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Rhetorical- You hit the nail on the head. I am not sure. The gentelman I spoke with said that he (the photographer) and his wife (the model) won the contest and were not paid. The amount was not large $500 for him and $2,500.00 for her. He explained to me that there were likely others out there in the same situation. He sounded credible but you never know and I feel I have an obligation to conduct at least some research to ensure that what I am being told is true.<O:p</O:p

rhetorical
11-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Rhetorical- You hit the nail on the head. I am not sure. The gentelman I spoke with said that he (the photographer) and his wife (the model) won the contest and were not paid. The amount was not large $500 for him and $2,500.00 for her. He explained to me that there were likely others out there in the same situation. He sounded credible but you never know and I feel I have an obligation to conduct at least some research to ensure that what I am being told is true.<o>:p</o>:p

Fair enough. Sounds like a prudent move.