PDA

View Full Version : Music you're not sure why you listened to

Evil Chris
12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I was cleaning out a couple of boxes awhile ago and found about 50 cassette tapes from the late 80s and I laughed when I saw some of them.

Anyone ever listen to Krokus? or Ratt? haha.... that was seriously some of the worst hair metal to come out of the 80s. Come to think of it, a lot of the Iron Maiden I listened to in the 80s was really bad too.

Got any dusty cassettes hanging around?

Rochard
12-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Hmmm.

http://www.rochardsbunnyranch.com/rock/safety.jpg

Rochard
12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
What scares me the most is that this picture.... was already located on my server!

Evil Chris
12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I never thought they were too bad Roch...

ScreaM
12-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I have some Mark Knopfler stuff I don't like listening too. Classic rock ain't my cup of tea.

Panky
12-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Good question. http://www.icando4u.com/smile/smiley_thinking.gif

Poison, Howard Jones,...

Virgule3
12-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I have some Mark Knopfler stuff I don't like listening too. Classic rock ain't my cup of tea.

Yeah, but even if you don't like him, he's one heck of a guitar player even if his technique sucks...

Sophie.

Evil Chris
12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I used to like Knopfler and Dire Straits a lot. But over time I got really tired of his sound, and voice. Let's face it, they were way overplayed in the late 80s.

DonMike
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Actually Rochard, Men Without Hat's album "Pop Goes The World" was a really good album. It was a lighthearted concept album about the end of the world. Pretty cool stuff with some great songs. It does sound a bit dated now, though. That's the problem with 80's music. I mean, you can listen to Joplin and it's just timeless but throw in a Berlin song and it just doesn't have the same feeling.

When I was really young I loved Olivia Newton John and played the "Physical" album over and over again. Listening to some of now just makes me cringe. LOL! I dunno, when I like a song I really commit to it. It's rare that I hear a song I used to like and feel embarrassed. But then again, I'm the guy who will drive down the street with my windows down blasting "On The Shelf" by Donny and Marie from their movie Goin' Coconuts. Now, if that's not dedication I don't know what is. "There.... on the shelf... am I".

Now if I could only find an mp3 of the DeFranco family doing Abracadabra I'd be in 70's cheesepop heaven.

sexyvanessa
12-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Ice house and poison lol :laughout:

Rochard
12-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Actually Rochard, Men Without Hat's album "Pop Goes The World" was a really good album. It was a lighthearted concept album about the end of the world. Pretty cool stuff with some great songs. It does sound a bit dated now, though. That's the problem with 80's music. I mean, you can listen to Joplin and it's just timeless but throw in a Berlin song and it just doesn't have the same feeling.

When I was really young I loved Olivia Newton John and played the "Physical" album over and over again. Listening to some of now just makes me cringe. LOL! I dunno, when I like a song I really commit to it. It's rare that I hear a song I used to like and feel embarrassed. But then again, I'm the guy who will drive down the street with my windows down blasting "On The Shelf" by Donny and Marie from their movie Goin' Coconuts. Now, if that's not dedication I don't know what is. "There.... on the shelf... am I".

Now if I could only find an mp3 of the DeFranco family doing Abracadabra I'd be in 70's cheesepop heaven.

Olivia Newton John has a song called "Twist of Fate" that I always loved. Thank god for Youtube. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mFdK1KT-a8)

My musical tastes when I was younger was "limited" and I pretty much listened to everything, had no real favorites, and never explored the music like I could have. Since then I've gone back through all of my favorites and discovered some true gems. A good example is Dire Straights - I knew all about their "Brothers In Arms" album, but it wasn't until twenty years later I discovered "Love over gold" and "It never rains".

The best part about 80's music is rediscovering it now on the Internet. I tend to remember a song and then hunt it down; I used to go to CD stores and hunt for certain albums that were nearly impossible to find. Two of the songs that I've been unable to find are now on Youtube, and I believe one of them was recently on a movie soundtrack. Both of these I discovered back in the day on "Friday Night Videos" for which I was too young to stay up for, but we had the VCR record them.

Ian Hunter - All of the good ones are taken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXlgbEDIT6U
(I know this song can be found on later albums, but not this version, which is my favorite. I also love the video.)

Joboxers - Just got lucky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-kfmuGHtxo
This song has recently been on a few movies so it's on sound tracks now.

And oddly enough, one of my favorite 80's song that I have been unable to find until recently was a Canadian band....

Chilliwack - My Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yahBtp_1jWE

Remember Mister Mister?
Jesus Christ, dont' get me started in on 80s music.

Oh, and I love the remixed versions they have today.

And I love the fact I can buy the songs one at a time on line now!!!!

Okay, nap time.

Rochard
12-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Anyone remember The Eurythmics "Right by your side"?

Oh, and did I mention the fact that I can see the videos now, instead of like the 80s? I lived in the styx then - we didn't have cable!

One of the groups I really got into was Roxette. They had some intersted music. And Berlin.

And so on.

Rochard
12-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Queen?

Listening to that live always raises the hairs on my neck for some reason.

Cyndalie
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I found an old Soup Dragons tape and Ned's Atomic Dustbin like 2 weeks ago :)

Rochard
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Um, who?

GinaCochina
12-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I am forced to listen to Krokus and Ratt every Friday and Saturday night. My husband and my son are metal, and they make me sit through Metal Mania every weekend. Last Saturday, Krokus had the funniest video on the whole show. I remember watching it when I was twelve and thinking it was cool. I'm ashamed of this now, but somehow my husband is not.

Slippery
12-06-2007, 03:25 PM
I heard Rock Me by Great White on the radio the other day and it took me back to days gone by.

TheLegacy
12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Well growing up in the 60's and 70's I remember songs like "Have you ever been mellow" and "Having my baby" as still today wonder - why the hell didnt I just put a screw driver in my ear and end it right there?

ScreaM
12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah, but even if you don't like him, he's one heck of a guitar player even if his technique sucks...

Sophie.
Yup he is one of the best.

DonMike
12-07-2007, 07:49 PM

OMG, Grey Cell Green by Ned's Atomic Dustbin is one of my favorite songs! I was in a band at that time and I wanted to look just like the lead singer, except that I was older, fatter and had bad hair. Oh well.

Rochard, I'm not so lucky. Most of the stuff I listened to in college was underground or local music so a lot of it is nearly impossible to find now. So when I find that rare Affordable Floors or Social Act mp3 floating around (as hoping to find an actual CD to buy is even more impossible) then I'm just thrilled. LOL!