PDA

View Full Version : Nature vs Nurture

Cyndalie
01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
So a zoo in Germany had polar bears that had cubs. After one bear starved and ate her cubs the debated whether to let 'nature take it's course' or intervene and have a human-dependant cub to raise - such as Knut - and the media frenzy that surrounded the bear.

The cub was fished out of the Nuremberg bear-pit after a public and political outcry. Two polar bears, Vilma and Vera, gave birth before Christmas. Vilma let her two cubs starve and ate them, bones and all. Vera prowled the compound aimlessly, her cub in her mouth.

Mr Encke said that nature should be left to take its course. In the Arctic wilderness polar bear mothers frequently rejected their young, especially if they sensed that the cubs were too sickly to survive.

My question is.. You have polar bears in Captivity in a ZOO - what part of nature taking it's course does that involve??? Since they are endangered species, isn't the goal to have as many survive as possible - nature nas nothing to do with it - you've already bent that out of whack.

Rochard
01-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Welcome the the policatially correct world.

12clicks
01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
So a zoo in Germany had polar bears that had cubs. After one bear starved and ate her cubs the debated whether to let 'nature take it's course' or intervene and have a human-dependant cub to raise - such as Knut - and the media frenzy that surrounded the bear.

My question is.. You have polar bears in Captivity in a ZOO - what part of nature taking it's course does that involve??? Since they are endangered species, isn't the goal to have as many survive as possible - nature nas nothing to do with it - you've already bent that out of whack.

you're not thinking of eating your young are you?

Evil Chris
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd have to agree that a Zoo is meant to preserve a species even if they are meant to be on display, so intervening and saving the cubs was the correct this to do.

Relentless
01-10-2008, 08:11 PM
As you know, Bears are high on Stephen Colbert's list. Therefore anything bad for bears is good for us. :xparrot:

RageCash-Ben
01-10-2008, 11:12 PM
I think saving the bears was the right thing to do.

Terrence
01-11-2008, 08:45 AM
you're not thinking of eating your young are you?

LMAO! When is the due date Cyndalie?
Terrence

Cyndalie
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
LMAO! When is the due date Cyndalie?
Terrence

2 weeks.

And no, the idea is to get it out of my body, not put it back in.