PDA

View Full Version : Hockey news: Sundin on the move?

Evil Chris
02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Cliff Fletcher has reportedly asked Mats Sundin for a list of teams he'd play for if he were to waive his no-trade clause.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230283

I do think he's going to move, but I doubt it will be very far. Mats is 37 years old and has settled in quite well in the Toronto area. I don't think he's going to want to move very far, and he probably wants to move to a contending team, if he's going to move at all.

So you have either Ottawa or Montreal. My guess (hope) is Montreal.

Crak_JMan
02-22-2008, 10:52 AM
We'll take him.

Evil Chris
02-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Gainey has said that he wants an "impact player" and that is just what Sundin is.

This reminds me of when Doug Gilmour came to play for the Habs for awhile.

Rochard
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Anyone ever notce the word "puck" rhymes with "fuck"?

Kenny B
02-22-2008, 12:11 PM
He'd make a great addition to Mtl.

Casa Nova
02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm not exactly to sure he'd move to ottawa or montreal. The Leafs really want a high draft pick & something off the roster. I'm not to sure that ottawa or Montreal would be willing to give a roster player up, & neither of them have a good draft pick this season. I'm leaning towards Anaheim, with the pick they have from Edmonton & with Edmonton sitting at the bottom of the league that looks very enticing. Burke knows this is his last big year to run for the cup, Selanne & Niedermayer will definitely not return next season so the time is now.

Ronaldo
02-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Selanne & Niedermayer will definitely not return next season so the time is now.

Selanne MIGHT not play next year, but I'd bet the farm that Neidermayer does. That little break was probably all one or both of them needed to realize how much they'd miss the game.

Milt Stegall was 99.999% (in his own words) certain he was going to retire. I said if they lost the Grey Cup he'd be back. Sure enough, he's coming back. But this WILL be his last year whether they win or lose.

Evil Chris
02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
After seeing this clip, I'm not sure Mats even wants to move anywhere. Maybe he'll ride out the season in Toronto and decide if and where he plays next year.

http://broadband.tsn.ca/?vid=33878

Crak_JMan
02-24-2008, 12:56 PM
After seeing this clip, I'm not sure Mats even wants to move anywhere. Maybe he'll ride out the season in Toronto and decide if and where he plays next year.

http://broadband.tsn.ca/?vid=33878

Got a lot of respect for a man that says it like it is.

Evil Chris
02-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Well... now we know. Sundin will be a Leaf for life. He won't be waiving his no-trade-clause.

I cannot leave my teammates and join another NHL club at this time. I have never believed in the concept of a rental player...I hope everyone will understand and respect my decision.

Mats Sundin

Casa Nova
02-25-2008, 08:56 AM
He's a great captain, but at the same time I would've liked to get some young talent to rebuild. I have mixed feelings about it really. Mostly disappointed, I'm sure all the other players with NTC's on the leafs will refuse to waive now too. We're stuck with the same team for the next 2-3 years.

Evil Chris
02-25-2008, 09:45 AM
The more I think about it, the more I know it's the right decision. By staying put, Mats has secured his place as one of the most hallowed players in the history of the team. Say what you want about his leadership, many say he lacks it but I disagree. Mats never had the luxury of an elite winger at his side, but he still put up many many 70+ point seasons, and led the Leafs far into the playoffs on many occasions, all the while management of the Leafs patching together the team for a quick fix to win the cup. There are plenty of top level players who never won a Stanley Cup.

I was shocked when Ray Bourque left Boston, and I'm sure that many Bruins fans will never quite understand why he left to go to a contending team. I'm sure Sundin has considered all the options and the bottom line seems to be that he is as much a fan of Toronto as Toronto is of him. I take my hat off to him.

Mister E
02-25-2008, 01:03 PM
They would not have received appropriate compensation for their Captain.

I think the Leafs need to offer FREE TRIALS (just like Guerilla Traffic does but it's not official yet nor am I comfortable talking about it so don't push me but if you really feel a sense of urgency you can go to out web site and see for yourself).

I miss Gilmour anyways.

http://www.brantfordblast.com/gallery/GilmoreNight.gif

Evil Chris
02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
hahaha... Elliot, you and I are from the same school!

I totally miss the days of 93. Not only was it a great number, but that was (in my opinion) the best year of hockey in the NHL of at least the last 20 years. Go Dougie!

dyonisus
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Douggie Gilmore... thee are some good leaf times
If Sundin did leave I would be sad... I want to see him retire with the leafs