PDA

View Full Version : Your worst injury or illness....

TheEnforcer
02-28-2008, 09:29 AM
So, what was your worst injury or illness you ever had to deal with?

I had deep second near third degree burns over 18% of my body. My left forearm and hand, much of the inside of my left thigh, and most of my right thigh all had HUGE areas of flesh missing that went down deep into my body. Almost had to be medavacced to the burn center at the state capital.

Now, as much as the initial burn hurts quite badly, that's not the worst part. It's the recovery that REALLY sucks. You have to start therapy right away and what they do is put disenfectant in a medical spa (aka whirlpool) and loosen all of the dead skin and then it has to be rubbed off. Well, for the first couple days after the initial burn it's not so bad because most of the nerve endings are dead and so the pain isn't that bad but then on about the third day or so, BAM!!! Your nerve endings are healed a bit and the pain receptors REALLY kick in. That first day is pure hell. It literally feels like a million needles stabbing into every tiny bit of exposed flesh.

Virgule3
02-28-2008, 09:35 AM
I was going to ask you what happened...

Me, this is it, this is my worst "illness" altough it's not really an illness nor an injury... It was just a badly placed cyst... When it got fully infected in october, that was the most painful thing ever... The surgery, although extremely painful, is nothing compared to the pain I felt back then.

Sophie.

TheEnforcer
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I was heating up a very large pan with a bunch of cookign oil. For some reason it started severely smoking and when I picked the pan up it burst into flames. I reacted a bit and spilled a small amlount of oil on the floor and when I took a tep forward to grab the lid I slipped in the oil and my feet came out from under me and the oil and flames flew into the air and came right down in my lap. laned on my back really hard, sat up and the pan was still flaming in my left hand so I overturned it onto the floor and it snuffed out. I looked around for a second and then got up and started swearing and basically watching my legs and left arm cook and melt away. If you ever see me in person you'll notice a big scar and stuff on my left arm. Also have them on my legs.

Evil Chris
02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I have heard very similar burn stories, unfortunately it happens to small children more often than it should.

I guess I have been lucky in that I haven't been hospitalized (ever), or hurt very badly in my life.
I had a bad skiing accident in 1990 and broke my nose. I flew face first into some ice at a pretty good speed. Apart from that, I fell out of a tree when I was a teenager and broke a small bone in my wrist. That's about it.

Panky
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Burns are nasty. Not only does the person need to deal with the pain and recovery, it is the fact they are highly susceptible to infection as well throughout the process.

As for me, I'm like Evil Chris. A few minor things over the years, but nothing major. I bruised bones in my left wrist jumping off a swing when I was a kid. My brother and I were in a competition to see who could swing the highest and then jump off. The first 10 jumps or so went well. Then the last jump, I landed wrong. I thought I broke my wrist for sure. That seriously hurt. I was hesitant to tell my mom too because we had already gotten yelled at for goofing around on the swings, but I had to. I didn't know exactly what I did to my wrist, but I knew it wasn't something that would feel better by morning. My brother didn't care that I was in pain and couldn't move my wrist. He was mad because I had to tell mom and we would both be in trouble because we didn't listen when she told us to quit jumping off the swings. lol!

Aside from that, migraines and a pinched nerve are the two most painful things I have ever felt in my life.

Funbrunette
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
My worst injury would have to be to my left knee. I figure skated for about 10 years and I had a VERY bed fall and busted my knee in a bad way. I hung up my skates after that :geez:

Second place would have to be my C-section that was pretty wild. I am however VERY proud of that scar...It's where my little prince came from! :heart:

I'm with panky on the migraines...I'm stuck injecting myself with Imitex when they hit and it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Magnus3x
02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I almost froze my legs off when I was 12. I was living in the NWT at the time and my buddy pulled up on his snowmobile and asked if I wanted a spin.., no ski pants, no high cut boots, just a stupid 12 y/o who wanted to sled while it was -36.
When I got home my legs were burning, I touched the skin that was frozen the indent of my finger poke stayed on my leg...ikes thats when I knew things were gonna get bad.
Both legs blistered to the size of footballs around the shins, lovely stuff eh. So I was told they may have to amputate, then I was told they were going to graft skin from my back side but I recovered 100%. After 8 months I was running and playing football and wrestling again.

The only residual is there is embedded scar tissue that feels a lil numb to the touch, but the scars are not visible.

Crak_JMan
02-29-2008, 12:45 PM
When I was born, shortly after (couple of weeks) I could keep anything in. Puke everytime my parents fed me. Mom brought me to the local doctor, back then we lived in Chicoutimi Lac St-Jean, small town. Doctor told mom I was just a chronic vomiter and that it should pass. At around one month old I was getting really sick and dehydrated so they brought me to hospital. Well I had something called "Pilar stenosis" and they put me on the operating table right away then as I was basically dying.

Got a nice scar on the tummy about 6 inch long as a souvenir ;-)

Funbrunette
02-29-2008, 12:48 PM
When I was born, shortly after (couple of weeks) I could keep anything in. Puke everytime my parents fed me. Mom brought me to the local doctor, back then we lived in Chicoutimi Lac St-Jean, small town. Doctor told mom I was just a chronic vomiter and that it should pass. At around one month old I was getting really sick and dehydrated so they brought me to hospital. Well I had something called "Pilar stenosis" and they put me on the operating table right away then as I was basically dying.

Got a nice scar on the tummy about 6 inch long as a souvenir ;-)

Explains a lot! :laughout: Je te taquine *wink*

Crak_JMan
02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Explains a lot! :laughout: Je te taquine *wink*

HUmmm yeah ok.. no comment.

Trouble Tonya
03-01-2008, 02:58 PM
The worst injury I've had was a car accident in 1995. I was in a small 4 door sedan and got hit by a late model blazer on the driver side. RUNNING RED LIGHTS IS BAD. I had to have major surgery on my left arm. If you ever see me in a tank top there is a scar from my shoulder to my elbow. Over 100 stitches later the arm is fully functional no bone or muscle damage. I'm fucking lucky I didn't have my arm out the window or I would have lost it completely.