PDA

View Full Version : More questions for Mac users

Evil Chris
03-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Because I'm getting tired of everything PC, I'm sure my next computer purchase will be a Mac. But I still have some questions. I could ask them in the store, but then I'd be getting answers from a sales point of view. So if anyone can shed some light, I'd appreciate.

Does Apple/Mac update their platform on the fly like Windows does?

What about other applications like FTP, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc... ?
Are they all available for Mac?

What Mac laptop would you recommend?

Peedy
03-12-2008, 05:28 AM
yes apple has a software update mechanism that updates all apple software products automatically

yes, photoshop, dreamweaver, and lots more apps are available. OSX is built on UNIX which allows lots of open source applications to be used. There is a lot of great freeware available and commercial shareware at that. I find generally mac apps are lower cost than PC equivalents. For example a great swiss army knife video converter called VisualHub is 23.00, helluva deal.

I would say a Macbook or Macbook Pro would do you just fine.

FreakySteve
03-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I've been a big Mac fan for many years (although I still have to use my PC sometimes).

Mac OS does all of the Windows "things" only usually easier or in a more simplistic way. Mac-bashers/PC-Lovers will chime in on this I'm sure.

I'm not going to argue which is better. What I do know is that of all of the people I have converted, not one regrets the decision and all of them feel "dirty" when they have had to go back to using a PC for whatever reason.

Yes, most of the software is out there, although I'm still waiting for a Mac submitter. You will also find shareware hunting for the Mac a LOT less frustrating. Instead of there being a million shareware apps that all do the same thing, but all suck for $20-30, there is usually one or two, that are really good and do it all for about the same. Mac software sites are easier to filter through.

Also, there are no virii or any of the other BS that Fundows users are accustomed to. ("Fundows" is my abbreviation for "Fucking Windows", saves me time speaking since those 2 words go together so often)

Get yourself a Mac. You'll be glad you did.

FreakySteve
03-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh and...

Don't be afraid to go grill the Apple sales people. They are not like most PC salespeople trying to sell you whatever piece of crap they can get a spif on.

Mac sales people start as hardcore Mac users most of the time so they LOVE sharing their knowledge of the platform, especially if they might be converting a PC user. Mac salespeople are also very willing to help you out, as are many Mac users. Macs are easy to get going and fix, so the people who use them don't mind trying to help since they usually won't hit that wall that most PC tech situations can create.

A good Mac salesperson will identify your needs and help match you up with the right hardware.

Magnus3x
03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
They just dropped the prices on the Mac Book pro's, I considering the move myself, I'm thinking the stacked 15" Mac Book Pro and then get a 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.

Evil Chris
03-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely getting closer to the day I get a Mac.
I often look at the Apple Store to see what's new or changed.

One thing I know is that I'll need a 15" display or better. I'll be running Photoshop and Dreamweaver so it will have to be able to handle that kind of workload, but from what I understand, this isn't a problem even in the entry level Macs.

Mr. Plow
03-16-2008, 09:54 PM
The bottom line, imnsho, is that Macs are easy to use and super stable. Windows Vista is a steaming pile of horse waste (though they are improving it all the time). I've been a mac fan for years and can't speak highly enough about them. You shouldn't have any trouble running multiple web design programs like that at the same time:)