PDA

View Full Version : I just got a new cell phone!

Virgule3
04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi guys!

I just got a new cell phone! The reviews say it's a fantastic phone and even though I can only make regular phone calls with it right now (I have yet to figure it out!), it seems true!

I have a question though... It has Windows Mobile and MSN inside. With the plan I have, I have unlimited free WiFi access but that's only good for email and Explorer. If I want to use MSN, I have to connect to the normal connection and I only have 4 megs of transfer which isn't much.

How much bandwidth does MSN take? Anyone knows?

Sophie.

http://www.bell.ca/web/common/all_languages/all_regions/catalog_images/large/65485.jpg

Evil Chris
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
4 megs is not a lot and I would think that MSN messanger would eat that up fairly quickly.

2MuchMark
04-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Virgule3

That is a pretty nice phone. I used to have one like that. Can I ask what Carrier you are using? You may have made a mistake about MSN on this thing...

When you use it in WIFI mode, you are using any local wireless connection in your area such as your home WiFi, Coffeeshops, Airport, etc. This device lets you connect to the Internet and run all Internet related aps such as IE, Email, MSN, Skype, etc. You bypass your cellphone carrier completely, and have free bandwidth.

However when you connect to the Internet via your cellphone carrier, THEN you are paying for bandwidth, and paying A LOT for it. Surfing the net, msn, email, downloads etc, all cost you.

I ended up selling this phone to a friend and switching back to a Motorola flip phone. Since I made more phone calls than I surfed, the Motorola was easier to use. But damn I miss having the Internet in my pocket!

Mark

Way3
04-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Your phone is very similar, if not exact to my Sprint 6800. Although I have the unlimited dataplan. Got to admit, this phone is the closest phone I have found to replace my laptop! If you get a good data plan (4 meg is not a lot), I think you will really like it!!!

Virgule3
04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Mark!

I got worried and I called Bell (my carrier) and they told me the exact same thing!

And I do love to have the net in my pocket! It's way cool!

Sophie.