PDA

View Full Version : Rogers is getting the Iphone later this year...

Crak_JMan
04-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Glad I been waiting, I'm gonna rid my blackberry until it's available :-D

Evil Chris
04-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I wonder how much they are going to gouge consumers to use the iphone in Canada?

Casa Nova
04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
there are already so many here that are unlocked, it has ruined the iphone for me all together. I'm gonna wait til the next big break through in phones til I get a new one.

Doug of Montreal
04-29-2008, 02:39 PM
there are already so many here that are unlocked, it has ruined the iphone for me all together. I'm gonna wait til the next big break through in phones til I get a new one.

How has that ruined the iPhone for you? Unlocked rocks... I think it will be Rogers, if anything, that ruins it in the end.

Magnus3x
04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Data prices in Canada will ruin any phone capable of rich media.
We need a carrier that will offer a significant all you can eat data plan, instead we have a 3 carrier monopoly that is not doing us any favors or cheaper data.
Regardless of the WI FI you will eat data and pay for it.

Jimmidean
04-30-2008, 06:26 AM
I thought Verizon was coming to Canada this year.
Am I wrong on that ?

Evil Chris
04-30-2008, 09:01 AM
So much for free trade. Canadians pay a minimum of twice as much as Americans for their wireless services.

Magnus3x
04-30-2008, 09:52 AM
So much for free trade. Canadians pay a minimum of twice as much as Americans for their wireless services.

We have third world mobile connectivity and pricing.

RIM which is situated 40 mins from my house and we dont even get their new releases before the US does LOL.

TheLegacy
04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't have one but am now seriously considering getting a Iphone or blackberry - but finding something that works worldwide where not only can I get my emails but also chat on ICQ - skype and msn.. thats the kicker.

Magnus3x
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't have one but am now seriously considering getting a Iphone or blackberry - but finding something that works worldwide where not only can I get my emails but also chat on ICQ - skype and msn.. thats the kicker.

Both will do the job for you and the bonus with Black Berry is you get free peer to peer chat with other BB users, a lot of webmaster have BB's so it extends your network in that respect.
I brought my head set to Europe last year and used skype for my in room calls and it worked like a charm. I know a company just made a widget for the iphone to handle skype... so you would pay extremely reduced rates abroad.

Magnus3x
05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
BlackBerry 9000 coming out:
Radio - GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA
Bands - Quad-band GPRS/EDGE: 800/850/1800/1900MHz
HSDPA: 850/1900/2100MHz (praise the lord!)
Expandable memory - microSD
Display - HVGA Color LCD (480×320)
TrackBall Navigation
Camera - 2MP (Boo!)
Wi-Fi - a,b,g
A-GPS
Battery - 1500mAh
High quality material, high-end finish
Software - 4.6

They keep saying what company will be the Blackberry killer.. I think the Iphone killer will come sooner than that.
The next Gen BB will have touch screen type pads for the ultra geek love experience.

Crak_JMan
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
TrackBall Navigation
Camera - 2MP (Boo!)
Wi-Fi - a,b,g
A-GPS
Battery - 1500mAh
Software - 4.6

They keep saying what company will be the Blackberry killer.. I think the Iphone killer will come sooner than that.
The next Gen BB will have touch screen type pads for the ultra geek love experience.

Wow yeah that sounds Texy ;-) Any dates on when they are expecting to get this bad boy out?

2MuchMark
05-03-2008, 02:24 AM
I had a PDA from a company called ITC (I think), on the TELUS Network. The unit itself was ok, but the killer was the data charges.

Telus was the cheapest (and fastest it seemed) in wireless data, but I easily ran up $500 bills using it.

I forget the prices now, but whatever it was, you got maybe 5MB free. The rest was charged at a premium. Fuck.

In the US you can get unlmited data for a fixed monthly rate (about $70.00). I WISH They had that in Canada.

I am guessing that Apple will push Rogers to lower their data rates. With rates this high, no one will want to purchase iTunes content from Apple.

The iPhone looks cool - how is it for texting? I text alot even on my Motorola Krazr. Texting was much easier on the ITC with its qwety keyboard, but am guessing that texting on the Iphone's touch-sensitive screen is a headache. Is it?

Anyway, I will probably buy one anyway, just because they look great. Hopefully though by the time Rogers offers them, there will be a newer version that's flatter, better, faster, with longer battery life.

m

Crak_JMan
05-04-2008, 10:14 AM
TrackBall Navigation
Camera - 2MP (Boo!)
Wi-Fi - a,b,g
A-GPS
Battery - 1500mAh
Software - 4.6

They are calling it the Storm and the code name is AK (apple killer)

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/01/blackberry-storm-to-kill-iphone/

Evil Chris
05-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Apple Killer sounds cool. :)

Magnus3x
05-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I had a PDA from a company called ITC (I think), on the TELUS Network. The unit itself was ok, but the killer was the data charges.

Telus was the cheapest (and fastest it seemed) in wireless data, but I easily ran up $500 bills using it.

I forget the prices now, but whatever it was, you got maybe 5MB free. The rest was charged at a premium. Fuck.

In the US you can get unlmited data for a fixed monthly rate (about $70.00). I WISH They had that in Canada.

I am guessing that Apple will push Rogers to lower their data rates. With rates this high, no one will want to purchase iTunes content from Apple.

The iPhone looks cool - how is it for texting? I text alot even on my Motorola Krazr. Texting was much easier on the ITC with its qwety keyboard, but am guessing that texting on the Iphone's touch-sensitive screen is a headache. Is it?

Anyway, I will probably buy one anyway, just because they look great. Hopefully though by the time Rogers offers them, there will be a newer version that's flatter, better, faster, with longer battery life.

m

I dont think we are in for much cheaper data plans anytime soon. Canada will soon have 3 new Wireless carriers to choose from and one of the backers is Paul Allen (Microsoft) for one of the bids. They will come in with mega cheap data plans and I suspect an all you can eat plan. I think Rogers, Bell and Telus will compete with those prices to keep memberships up, the other companies will not get enough market share to sustain the lower data rates and either fold, get bought by one of the 3 in the monopoly and then....... rates go back up :)

I hope I'm wrong.. cuz I want to eat DATA damn it!

dyonisus
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I am getting the iPhone out here in LA and hearing that I can get it to work in Canada is a huge bonus. That phone IMHO is the shit! But I have become a total MAC convert recently purchasing and MacBookPro.

Unlocke and on rogers makes my decision so much easier!

Vid Vicious
05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
anyone know anything about the new sony phone .. 800 i think , its got a 5 mp camera built in .. I got quoted 430$ for it today ..

Mr. Plow
05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I work for a Roger's dealer in Canada and, from what I've been told, there are a couple of things to be aware of regarding the iPhone coming North.

1) The iPhone is super cool, but a lot of other phones do much the same things. Just sayin'.

2) The iPhone is coming to Canada, but nobody seems to know when. Sometime between June and Christmas is the official word, but Apple and Rogers have been having a turf war for a while, so I'll believe it when I see it.

3) Personally I'm waiting for the next version of the iPhone, which will be 3G, rumour has it, meaning that it will have much faster data transfer rates, like the latest generations of Blackberrys. I'm not an expert, but personally I'm waiting for the next iPhone, which at the current rate may appear at roughly the same time as it's available in Canada. Just my theory.