PDA

View Full Version : Attending shows not as important this year as in others?

Cyndalie
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like attending shows is just not as important this year as it's been in years past for business. Maybe it's because I've been so busy actually working that there is no time to get out and talk about it. With 10 years under my belt in this business I think I have seen the trade show circuitimportance peak out. With times so tough right now on everyone to make sales even with higher traffic numbers, it's more of a do game than a talk game. I see business administrators and modesl and 'front people' still mingling but the 'masses' and every day webmasters that used to get out to shows seems to be dwindling, you think?
Or am I just stuck at home too much these days? I see going to one or two of the big ones a year, shwoing your face, keeping important contacts and relationships alive. But after that it's alot of the same and hard to meet 'new' people and do new business the more you do go to.

Chris and I are on the same page today :)

Evil Chris
06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
It isn't that I dislike shows. I'm just a little bit burnt out on them now. Like you, in the business 10+ years and a lot of tradeshows during that time, all the while the business (and people in it) evolving and growing up a lot.

Just look at how many of us have our own kids now. We want to stay at home with them and enjoy family life. So we go to 2 or 3 shows a year now instead of 9 or 10. :)

Rochard
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Because of the XXX Ironman (http://www.xxxironman.com/) event we put on, I'll be attending more shows than usual. I'll be going to Vegas, Florida, and Atlanta.

Is the importance of shows declining? It depends on how you do at the shows. If you stay out until 5am and your a waste the next morning and for the rest of the day, then it's a waste - your going to party and not to work. If you go to bed at a decent hour and do the networking thing, you might be surprised at how productive a show can be.

One of the things I've noticed at the shows is that I always tend to "hang out" with the usual suspects - my friends. I always try to meet new people at shows.

Magnus3x
06-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Shows are always what you make of them. If you are burnt out from them then I dont think you would get as much accomplished as when you were excited to attend.
If you are in a service aspect of the business then I think it's important to get out and see who your customers are what you can do to get more business.