PDA

View Full Version : Jack Nicholson 'Furious' Over Heath Ledger Playing The Joker In 'Dark Knight'

TheLegacy
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1573617/20071106/story.jhtml

MTV: What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker in next summer's "The Dark Knight"?

Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. [He laughs.] They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker. I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.

MTV: It was never brought up?

Nicholson: No. It's like, in any area, you can't believe the reasons things do or don't happen. Not asking me how to do the sequel is that kind of thing. Maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe it was the right thing, but to be candid, I'm furious.

MTV: I'm surprised to hear you sounding competitive about a role like that.

Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. That's how I got involved with it in the first place. It's a part I always thought I should play.

MTV: Will you see the new film?

Nicholson: I'm not inclined to watch it because of what I said. But if it's a good movie, I'll catch up with it somewhere. I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground. Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it. That's why I did the movie. I did the movie based on a single conversation with him. We both come from the cartoon world originally. We had similar ideas. Tim said [the Joker] should have a humorous dark side to him. [Burton is] one of the great moviemakers. I think the world of him. He's the most unassuming man. And he doesn't feel pressure. That's what I love about him. Once he's in there, he's smiling making the movie. That's it!

http://friendsofdoom.com/gz/img/post/movies/2007-12-27-whysoserious_poster.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a165/miss_whisky/HeathLedgerJackNicholsonJoker.jpg

Casa Nova
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
What a Dick, doesn't he see that they were taking a completely different route for the movie all together. They are trying to bring it back to the dark days, the edgyness.

Jack played a good joker, but it was to upbeat, I believe in the original comic books he was much more sinister & psychopathic as he seems to be as played by heath so far in the previews.

It's alright he's just a bit bitter he didn't get some extra coin in his pocket. I doubt he's even seen the last batman. It seems as if he is grouping in the last film with the ones before it which shouldn't be grouped together at all. The latest films are a completely new take on the story, to restore them to the glory Batman once had.

Peedy
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
without seeing The Dark Knight, its hard to really comment. I loved the original batman's with Jack and Michael Keaton. Jack acts like he is owed something, from the previews it looks as though Heath did an amazing job, however Jack probably could have done as well.

Evil Chris
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
The newer series of Batman seem much darker and serious than the films Tim Burton made.
Jack should understand this shouldn't he?

Funbrunette
07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
He's just pissed The Bucket list flopped :laughout:

Honestly I think Heath brings a different edge to the caracter of the Joker, I'm quite anxious to see his last acting role (I read somewhere it really messed him up psychologically to assume such a role).

The jury is still out on that one....

Mr. Plow
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I like most everything that both actor's do, honestly, so I imagine I'll be pretty happy with it, but I never read either the original comics or the new Dark Knight series, so I don't have a lot invested in it (me, I prefer books with words:P) But it will be a bit weird watching Heath Ledger's last work:(

TheLegacy
07-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Not sure Jack could play such a dark character (yes I know of the Shining).

Simply put - it would conflict with the original Batman and I feel would take away from his performance there - let is stand up on its own.

Magnus3x
07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Jack could play dark very easily, he could play this exact character, it is "acting" afterall. The difference in the characters of each franchise, the Jack Joker was more along the lines of the old TV series. legders is very much like the darker cartoon/comics.

I mch prefer the new franchise, but jack should'nt be pissed he should do more movies like the Departed.

Crak_JMan
07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I stopped watching the batman movies a while ago, fuck they got boring.

Not at all what I grew up to read in comic books.

I'll watch this one as I really want to see Ledger's acting in it. Apparently he went threw a hell of a process to give himself the real dark side.

Cyndalie
07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Jack is too old to be playing the Joker.
Having him on set is a liability! shit!

Casa Nova
07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
I stopped watching the batman movies a while ago, fuck they got boring.

Not at all what I grew up to read in comic books.

I'll watch this one as I really want to see Ledger's acting in it. Apparently he went threw a hell of a process to give himself the real dark side.

You should really look into watching Batman Begins!

It's totally a reinvented story and more along the comic books, dark and vengeful! The previous batman movies steered towards kids and young adults, the last one and the upcoming one are very much a reinvention filled with darkness! I love where they have taken it!!